Detroit Locker Question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Muffburger

Member # 62908
Detroit Locker Question

I have a 98 TJ that I recently swapped 79 Ford 60's under with 5:38gears and 37's. I am putting in a new clutch kit tonight due to some bad chatter and shimmy coming from the drivetrain when I release clutch. As I was inspecting the whole drivetrain for anything else that may be contributing, I noticed I could grab my rear driveshaft and turn it a 1/4 rotation before the anyhting caught. This is with the tires on the ground. There would be a clicking sound then the Dshaft would catch. I removed diff plate to check gear mesh and backlash. They were both excellent. The pinion and the ring gear move 1/4 pinion turn back in fourth before the tires want to turn. The play is inside the Detroit? Normal? This is my first run at a Detroit and this is probably normal but I was going to pull it and inspect it tonight if not. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 40587
It's normal. Lots of people ask it here, even detroit has said there are no problems. Detroits are naturally sloppy like that. Mine was a 1/4 turn as well before anything caught. Other then pulling into parking spots and the driveshaft wanting to slam back and forth if I didn't let the clutch out a little bit to put pressure on it, it was never an issue.

The first day I got my axles in (total rebuilt, regeared D44s) I damn near shit a brick because I thought the gear install was fucked up from all the slop in the rear diff because of the detroit.
[QUOTE=Dieselmh]I'll cave his fucking head in with a shovel, just to show him that just because he has opposable thumbs, that doesn't put him on the same badassedness level as humans. Stupid arrogant possums. :shaking:[/QUOTE]
The Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Muffburger

Member # 62908
10-4

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Devils Trailboss

Member # 51571
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Sheep View Post
It's normal. Lots of people ask it here, even detroit has said there are no problems. Detroits are naturally sloppy like that. Mine was a 1/4 turn as well before anything caught. Other then pulling into parking spots and the driveshaft wanting to slam back and forth if I didn't let the clutch out a little bit to put pressure on it, it was never an issue.

The first day I got my axles in (total rebuilt, regeared D44s) I damn near shit a brick because I thought the gear install was fucked up from all the slop in the rear diff because of the detroit.
Agreed! You will hear this from people with an auto tranny often because they put it in park and yet the rig may roll a bit because of the slop in the Detroit it freaks some out thinking theres a problem with the tranny or the locker.
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 119995
Great info! Im getting ready to stuff my waggy 44's with detroits on both ends and would have probably freaked out a little as well.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
BootPartyCoordinator

Member # 111254
Same here

I have the same slop from the Detroit in my Rockwell and had it in my D60 as well.
JolietJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Muffburger

Member # 62908
Dl

I think my clutch issue is making it feel worse so hopefully after I put the new clutch kit in tonight it wont be bad at all.