YJ guages - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 117513
Send a message via AIM to Schvin
YJ guages

Anybody put a full set of aftermarket guages in their early YJ? I put some Autometer's in my '88 YJ, and I just started going through it, and apparently I didn't trace all my wires correctly. I'm looking for the positive wire for the Volts guage, and all the wires for the Fuel guage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Schvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 62615
I have the factory service manual at home and I can check into the exact color of the wires for you then if you don't mind waiting.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 117513
Awesome, that'd be great. I don't mind waiting. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 62615
After a storm went through and a tree came down onto our barn, I had to take care of that all night last night. I will get the info out to you tonight. Sorry about the delay.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 117513
Not a problem Matt, that's totally understandable!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 62615
Ok here is what I got for the voltmeter. It should be a white wire with a tracer on it to supply that gauge. This is the same wire that is used to power the rest of the gauges. You will see it enter the connector that goes into the back of the gauge cluster and then it will also jump over to a different pin on the back of that connector. If you still can't find it this is the same wire that comes directly from the fuse block to supply the power to the gauges and should be a 15 amp fuse.

Now for the fuel gauge, the power wire will be the white with tracer like I mentioned above. The ground will obviously be a black wire and the sending unit wire is tan. The ohm reading for the fuel gauge sending unit is as follows. Empty = 0 ohms; 1/2 full = 44 ohms; Full = 88 ohms.

Just for shits and giggles I will also include the rest of the wires so if anyone searches they can find everything here.

The coolant temperature gauge sending unit wire is violet. Same white with tracer wire for the power to the gauge and black wire for the ground. The ohm reading for this gauge is as follows. 100 degrees Fahrenheit = 1600 ohms; 180 degrees Fahrenheit = 309 ohms; 260 degrees Fahrenheit = 80 ohms.

The oil pressure gauge sending unit wire is light blue. At the firewall, it changes colors to a light green on the sending unit itself. I note that so nobody gets confused. Same white with tracer wire for the power to the gauge and black wire for the ground. The ohm reading for the oil pressure gauge is as follows. 0 psi = 10 ohms; 40 psi = 45 ohms; and 80 psi = 90 ohms.

The clock uses the only hot at all times power wire which is pink and grounds using the same black ground wire that all of the other gauges use. If you follow closely, the same pink wire goes to the radio as well. Again just mentioning that for reference only.

Hope this helps you out!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 117513
Huh...I had the white with tracer going to the Volts, I wonder why it didn't work :-/ Awesome, thank you very much Matt! I appreciate it. And with the other ones you included, I can double check my other guages!!! Thanks
Old 08-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 62615
No problem and hopefully you get it figured out! I know chasing down wiring issues can be a pain after a while. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 62615
I also just wanted to make sure everyone knows this is for an 88 YJ. I'm not sure if they changed the harness a bit when Jeep went to fuel injection or not.