Project CJ-Forever! - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowners View Post
Thats lookin bad ass!

I have a quick question about your gas tank. I'm going to stretch the rear of my CJ about 2", nothing major but I will need to notch my gas tank. (factory 20 gal) I'm running a Ford 9" with RE 1.5" SOA springs and I'm planning on modifying the spring hangers and moving the shackles.

How deep did you notch your gas tank?

Thanks,
B
Thanks man! well I guess I'd have to awnser your question with a question. Is your axle and tank installed right now? If so, crawl under that sucker with a tape measure and take a look to see how much room you have. Now if you don't, I'd say I stretched mine about 3" and had to cut my tank back about a 1.5" So it would be right at that border line of not having to mod the tank, or a couple good whacks with a BFH! haha but seriously don't do that.

Its gonna be close but its a fairly easy mod. I'm glad I did it. One thing I didn't do and should have is plate the skid plate and BEEF it up some. I plan to do mine........someday.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Okay so I finally have my 35 spline axles in and what a chore!! Now I could have saved myself a shit load of headaches if I would have bored the spindles to spec size before narrowing the axle and welding the spindles back on. So here are some pics of the tool I built to help the job go "EASY"

Old 02-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Don't use one of these.....I burned one up and another like it.......

You will need a high power low speed drill with a 3/4" chuck.....a real man eater

So a total of two days, six hours, and three drills I have a 40% increase in strength in my rear Dana 60.......FAWK.

Drove under its own REAR end power for the first time in forever......well for me.

Brakes are next along with an endless amount of other shit.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #155 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorunna View Post
Okay so I finally have my 35 spline axles in and what a chore!! Now I could have saved myself a shit load of headaches if I would have bored the spindles to spec size before narrowing the axle and welding the spindles back on. So here are some pics of the tool I built to help the job go "EASY"

Some where theres a machinist looking for his morse taper drill adapter! Looks sweet at least you got to drive it in the snow this year.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:59 AM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Looks sweet at least you got to drive it in the snow this year.
Ha Ha Thats what I said!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Time for Brakes! Hydroboost or vac?

Well guys its time for brakes and I've been doing some searching around and it seems most people are using early 80's corvette MC/Booster, or a hydrobooster from a Astro van and many other combos as well.

I guess I'm turning to you guys for some input. I'm running dual piston calipers up front from a f250 and gm front calipers out back on the rear disc's.
I have a manual mc right now and Im sure that wont work.

Also my prop valve is disc/drum. I've been told I can drill out the check valve on it and it will work for disc/disc. Is this true?

I'm on a tight budget so bang for buck plays a big roll. Personally right now I'm leaning toward Astro van hydroboost and I can build all my own hyd. hoses.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #158 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Weird I just put the corvette master on mine this last weekend. I think they come in to two varieties could be wrong but I told them I had 4wheel disk 80 corvette, the other I think is drum disk combo. Im running disk front drums rear(for now) and they seem to work better than before. Im also running stock power booster. I thought about a yj booster for a minute but Im strapped for cash so Im running what I brung. Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Weird I just put the corvette master on mine this last weekend. I think they come in to two varieties could be wrong but I told them I had 4wheel disk 80 corvette, the other I think is drum disk combo. Im running disk front drums rear(for now) and they seem to work better than before. Im also running stock power booster. I thought about a yj booster for a minute but Im strapped for cash so Im running what I brung. Hope this helps.
Wanna come do mine?!

So stock power booster? did your cj come with power brakes? Mine is manual and lame
Old 02-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #160 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Yeah mine came with power booster theres a guy in oregon city on cl that had a yj booster and cj power booster for sale. I dont remeber the price but I almost went and picked up the yj booster but Im cheap and figured 21 bucks well see how it works.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #161 (permalink)
Learning by Mistakes

Member # 165972
nice work on the Cheap! (and the wife too) I too suffer from a limited budget, and a hot wife. I know TOGTFO....

My question for you sir is this... How in the hell did you get her to pose for those? was it her idea? or did you have to trick/drug her?

I have been trying to get my wife to let me take some pics, but I think I would have to slip her a roofie before she would agree...
Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop69 View Post
nice work on the Cheap! (and the wife too) I too suffer from a limited budget, and a hot wife. I know TOGTFO....

My question for you sir is this... How in the hell did you get her to pose for those? was it her idea? or did you have to trick/drug her?

I have been trying to get my wife to let me take some pics, but I think I would have to slip her a roofie before she would agree...

Ha ha Thanks man! Yeah building a rig with a family of five and a single income can make a person really good at building with good parts that no one else wants. For example: stock tj coils....free, Dana 60 and 44 from an old f250 burried under sticker bushes for a decade...free, Shocks from a Dodge that just got a new lift...free, Brand new H2 wheels some guy drove from the car lot to the tire shop for some sick 22's with spinners...Well not free but $200 aint bad. It also helps having access to a machinest who loves my little projects cause he's sick and tired of broaching shafts lol. Everyone thinks building off road rigs is sooo expensive.....well it is. But some of us can do it without loading up our credit cards or just a little at a time. Sure it takes longer and way more effort but its all part of the experience.

As for the wife......She is a rare woman. She is very outgoing and self confident. She loves the camera both in front and behind....that sounds bad. She is also a photographer is what I'm trying to say. It is usually her idea when she wants to do a photo shoot, but a little beer usually helps too

I dug through my photobucket and found one she did on my old Jeep a few years back. I'm sure there will be some cool ones out on the trail soon after we get it trail ready.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Few more shots I found on our old lap top. Yep she rolled it

Old 03-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 35564
Your CJ7 is one of my top 5's. It's very clean and simple.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Quote:
Originally Posted by m38a1jpn View Post
Your CJ7 is one of my top 5's. It's very clean and simple.
Thanks man I really appreciate that. I'm totally in love with how far it has come. Yes it has been a slow build. (my slowest ever) and wish I got to spend more time on it. But it's getting really close to being road worthy and once I am driving it reguarly it will be easier to finish the little "here and there" items on my to do list.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 181502
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorunna View Post
Ha ha Thanks man! Yeah building a rig with a family of five and a single income can make a person really good at building with good parts that no one else wants. For example: stock tj coils....free, Dana 60 and 44 from an old f250 burried under sticker bushes for a decade...free, Shocks from a Dodge that just got a new lift...free, Brand new H2 wheels some guy drove from the car lot to the tire shop for some sick 22's with spinners...Well not free but $200 aint bad. It also helps having access to a machinest who loves my little projects cause he's sick and tired of broaching shafts lol. Everyone thinks building off road rigs is sooo expensive.....well it is. But some of us can do it without loading up our credit cards or just a little at a time. Sure it takes longer and way more effort but its all part of the experience.

As for the wife......She is a rare woman. She is very outgoing and self confident. She loves the camera both in front and behind....that sounds bad. She is also a photographer is what I'm trying to say. It is usually her idea when she wants to do a photo shoot, but a little beer usually helps too

I dug through my photobucket and found one she did on my old Jeep a few years back. I'm sure there will be some cool ones out on the trail soon after we get it trail ready.

Wow your a lucky man. Nice work on your Cj7 to thats looking good man , we went wheeling last Sat, up by chelachy prairie, tum tum mt .. Found some good snow up there to. Were looking forward to wheeling with you guys so let me know when your ready to roll ( my luck it will be about the time im tearing my jeep down lol )

big props on your build man and big WOW on your wife lol
Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 181502
Heres a teaser to get you motivated lol ..

Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 10238
How are you liking the springs up front and coils in the rear? I know a couple of guys that did this with their 4runners and said it was to unstable especially once loaded. You got a great looking build and sweet "old" camo rig.
coues7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuggs View Post
Heres a teaser to get you motivated lol ..

Cool man you have a great lookin Jeep there! I cant wait to get this thing going down the road and maybe still make it in time for a snow run. I'm trying really hard but it's tough sometimes when life pulls you in every direction but the one you want it to.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Quote:
Originally Posted by coues7 View Post
How are you liking the springs up front and coils in the rear? I know a couple of guys that did this with their 4runners and said it was to unstable especially once loaded. You got a great looking build and sweet "old" camo rig.
Well so far so good. It has not been trail tested yet so I cant say for sure just yet. I'm sure there will be a tunning in period.

I'm suprised to hear that the yota guys thought it was an unstable setup. I did mine this way cause everything I have read tells me it's a great set up for all around wheeler/DD. Did they have really tall rigs to make it seem so unstable? Also there is a lot of geometry goin on with link suspensions, maybe they just need to look at getting them dialed in a little more.

I'm not saying they are not setup correctly. It's just speculation.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 87850
So I cycled the suspension for the very first time, and its not bad. Gonna need some bump stops out back, I plan to move the front axle forward about 1"-1.5" for a little more wheel base and keep the tires out of the fenders. And I'm gonna need a longer slip on my front drive shaft, I knew I would any way. Sorry my little camera is on the fritz so here are some crummy iphone pics.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #172 (permalink)

Member # 181502
Man thats lookin sweeet, I like the fact that it looks like an original cj7 still.

Im running a corp 14 rear, but i dont really plan on going over a 40" tire.. The older i get the less i wanna pick big azz tires up lol, i have a nice Dana 60 rear that i could slap in my jeep. Im kinda torn but i would imagine the dana 60 will handle everything i could throw at it, and id save a little on weight, and clearance with the 60 over the 14 bolt... I wanted your opinion as to what you think.

After the last snow run we went on im convinced that its about time to tear it down. My trannys going south and my dana 44 is hurting. I picked up a 1991 chev dana 60 front and i have that 60 for the rear. Im gonna bug you endlessly on my link build. I really like your work and the quality you put into your stuff. I value your opinion on Fab work. Anyway ill chat at you soon man your jeep is SICK lol
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuggs View Post
Man thats lookin sweeet, I like the fact that it looks like an original cj7 still.

Im running a corp 14 rear, but i dont really plan on going over a 40" tire.. The older i get the less i wanna pick big azz tires up lol, i have a nice Dana 60 rear that i could slap in my jeep. Im kinda torn but i would imagine the dana 60 will handle everything i could throw at it, and id save a little on weight, and clearance with the 60 over the 14 bolt... I wanted your opinion as to what you think.

After the last snow run we went on im convinced that its about time to tear it down. My trannys going south and my dana 44 is hurting. I picked up a 1991 chev dana 60 front and i have that 60 for the rear. Im gonna bug you endlessly on my link build. I really like your work and the quality you put into your stuff. I value your opinion on Fab work. Anyway ill chat at you soon man your jeep is SICK lol

Yeah thanks man. I'm trying to some what keep the classic cj look. Tube fenders are cool but I'm kinda getting tired of it. I'm thinking Hi-line the hood and keep the stock fenders if thats possible, and make more room in the rear fenders and lower the whole thing 2-3". But thats down the road a little.

60's front and rear are a great combo. I could have saved myself a lot of time and $$$ if I would have just bought a corp 14 from a GM dually I think they have a 63"wms~wms or something like that( I think people call it a c&c or what ever) But the 14 does need some big tires to make for good ground clearence. I would go with the 6o's but I wouldnt take the rig down until they were built and ready to go in. Also to get by for now you can shave about an 1-1.5" off you 14bolt and modify your diff cover to through the inside on the bottom. It takes a little work, a lot of grinding, and some fab work, but the end result is worth it.

Heres a link
http://coloradok5.com/shaved14bolt.shtml

Here's a better one
/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/753139-shaved-14-bolt-shave-14b-corporate-clearance.html

Last edited by phorunna; 03-10-2011 at 08:05 AM.
phorunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #174 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Well for us poor bastards who bend pipe with their $80 harbor freight bender know that anything bent past about 30* gets dents from the outer dies not being true to form. So I'm trying something. Made two new outer dies that fit the contour of the pipe. I'll try it tonight to see if it works.

Last edited by phorunna; 03-10-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 87850
Look ma no Dents! It works great!

Last edited by phorunna; 03-10-2011 at 06:51 PM.