Staun+dynabeads+flat tire=instant death wobble? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 03:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 134486
Unhappy Staun+dynabeads+flat tire=instant death wobble?

Here's what happened; I decided I wanted to drive the Jeep to work today. When I got in I didn't notice that I had a flat on the front (don't ask me how). Keep in mind that the Staun still had 50psi in it. As soon as I pulled out of my drive way I ofcourse noticed it. I turned around and pulled back in, grabbed out my air hose, hooked it up t my OBA and filled the tire back up to 26 psi. I just figured I had not made a good seal around one of the valve stems. That tire assembly had only been put together since Friday (this was Tuesday morining). I had ben driving the Jeep around since then in short trips trying to break in the new diff gears. When I pulled out of the driveway all seemed good. My front end started to wobble at around 40MPH and by the time I hit 45 I couldn't hold on to the wheel or control the Jeep. I took it home and got in my truck to go to work. Anybody think the dynabeads could have worked their way in between the beadlock casing and the tire in the short distance that I drove on it flat and that could have caused the problem? Of course I am at work now and can't stop thinking about it...
les.delancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1760
I would think if they are pinched between the side wall and the staun all sitting in one spot,that would be a massive imbalance...Try lowering the pressure of the staun a tadd below the tire pressure and bang the sides with a mallet to get the to settle to the bottom.

Last edited by BossBuilt; 10-27-2009 at 06:53 AM.
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 06:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Then again you might end up with them between the tube and the staun..
Old 10-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 134486
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBuilt View Post
Then again you might end up with them between the tube and the staun..
I hpoe not! That would be hard though since the tube was inflated to 50psi...
Old 10-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 128819
what tires/size are you running?
brendanbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 134486
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanbreen View Post
what tires/size are you running?
I'm running 35x12.50x15 ProComp MTs on 15x10 ProComp fake locks with 3.75" BS and Stauns for 9.5-10" wheels.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 106840
i suffered with wobble while running my stauns with the beads, finally gave up and switched to weights on rim. SMOOOOOOOOTH since
Lord Godking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 134486
Did your wobble issues always occur after running aired down or after a flat? When you were running the beads what did you do to correct the issue when it happened? Were you running DynaBeads or AirSoft pellets? Did you come to the conclusion that the beads were becoming trapped between the beadlock casing and the tire sidewall? Thanks!

- I checked all of my suspension fasteners and nothing was loose. This is driving me nuts as I have had the thing on the road for less than a week and it has been down due to this for two days now. Did you ever have any issues getting a good seal around either one of the valve stems? If so, what did you do to fix it?

Last edited by les.delancy; 10-28-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 106840
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.delancy View Post
Did your wobble issues always occur after running aired down or after a flat?

both

When you were running the beads what did you do to correct the issue when it happened?

slowed to a stop

Were you running DynaBeads or AirSoft pellets?

DynaBeads

Did you come to the conclusion that the beads were becoming trapped between the beadlock casing and the tire sidewall?

Didn't care, got 'em outta there!

Thanks!

- I checked all of my suspension fasteners and nothing was loose. This is driving me nuts as I have had the thing on the road for less than a week and it has been down due to this for two days now. Did you ever have any issues getting a good seal around either one of the valve stems? If so, what did you do to fix it?
hope it helps
Lord Godking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 134486
You just came to a stop and then it was gone when you drove off again? That wouldn't work for me, I tried several time...

I'm gona work on my tire leak tonight. I'm pretty sure it is around the valve stem for the tube.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 134486
I confirmed my suspisions while working on the leak last night. When I let the air out of the tire I heard a few beads roll to the bottom of the tire. When I let the air out of the beadlock tube I heard quite a few beads roll to the bottom of the tire. Then whe I shook the tire back and forth on the wheel I heard a ton of beads roll to the bottom of the tire. It sounded like at least 3oz of beads. No wonder I had killer death woble!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 134486
I freaking give up! I checked that nothing was loose in the front end. I corrected my front track bar angle to eliminate the bump steer. I got all of the beads back into the bottom of the tire. I fixed the leak so the tire wouldn't keep going flat. I went to drive her this morning... death wobble! All I can figure to do at this point is sell the three wheels that are drilled and the Stauns and get three more wheels and go that route until I can afford beadlock wheels. I really want the aluminum two piece double beadlocks, but you're talking a little over $1500 for five of those. What really sucks is that I never would have gotten 10" wide wheels if I had planned on running without some sort of beadlock. I'm at the end of my rope with this dam Jeep!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 134486
Just incase anybody was actually curious. I found a shop that routinely services Stauns: TarHeel 4WD Center in Charlotte. I'm taking all five assemblies to them with a new tube on Saturday and they're going to straightne my mess out. I'm having them replace the torn tube, fix the stem hole leak, and remove the DynaBeads, as well as install the two remaining beadlocks and wieght balance them all. I sent a bunch of e-mails out to different shops and Steve at TarHeel called me back and seemed like a great guy.