YJ Frame Dimensions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 140656
YJ Frame Dimensions

I need the dimensions of a YJ frame. The previous owner of my Jeep backed it into a pole and now I'm fixing it. I need to know the width from inside of the frame rail to inside the frame rail at the rear crossmember. I'm chopping it out and putting in a new one and I want it to be true.
Pictures with dimensions or a helpful website would be awesome.

Thanks,

-Joe
Pirate Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 5577
Old 11-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 140656
That's very good but it doesn't have the dimensions on the inside of the frame rails in the rear. Thank you anyways.

-Joe
Old 11-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 122683
The drawing give a width dimension to the body mounting holes. If those are corrrect and squared, the frame rails will be right. Actually enough info there to check it in 3D. Just need to do a little math.

Last edited by diesel1; 11-06-2009 at 07:09 AM.
diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 140656
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1 View Post
The drawing give a width dimension to the body mounting holes. If those are corrrect and squared, the frame rails will be right. Actually enough info there to check it in 3D. Just need to do a little math.
The body is also damaged so I'm going to be putting the body mounts where ever they happen to land on the new crossmember. I'm going to try and fix it but I know the body mounts won't line up perfectly.

-Joe
Old 11-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 122683
To each their own but the "right" way to do it would be to get that thing on a frame rack and do some pulls on the body and frame to get it back in shape. A little investment at this point would pay off in the long run. I've seen guys build their own rigs for pulling too. I straightened a crunched rear corner on a Wrangler by using my 8K Warn winch on my car trailer. Worst thing you can possibly do is start cutting stuff away before pulling it as close as possible.

Last edited by diesel1; 11-07-2009 at 08:16 AM.
diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hard Corps

Member # 116370
a picture of the damage would help on telling you the best procedure for repair. I agree that a frame machine is the "right" way, but it really depends on how you use the vehicle. If this drives on the road a lot I would at least take a few minor precautions. If the back was pushed into the pole hard enough it will have pulled the frame ended together slightly. At the minimum you will want to pull the point that was pushed in back to where it is "close" to straight. This will align the rails close enough to be moved back within spec on the replacement piece. Cut out the piece after you have put a porta-puller, bottle jack, or 4x4 in between the rails to hold them in place. Usually they "spring in", but if they "spring out", use a good ratchet strap to pull them back. Then measure the distance between the body mounts. Use the jack to spread them until within spec. Measure the rear brace to exact spec, cut, spread the rails another mm or 2 and insert, slowly release pressure and weld.

Keep in mind that your rear suspension is relying on proper frame spec due to the location of your shackles. Though 1-3mm won't make a big difference it can bind suspensions, wear out bushings faster, wear out tire faster, and throw off alignments.

I would weld your brace in slightly, maybe an 1" inboard. Sounds like a good excuse to make an integrated bumper?!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Ooh Rah!
USMC 2003-2009

Last edited by swirvin21; 11-07-2009 at 01:47 PM.
swirvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 140656
I should have specified how I'm fixing it.

I'm taking off the body mounts and dropping the gas tank. I'm then going to use a winch and some hydraulic rams to get the frame as straight and square as possible. Once this is done I was going to take some tubing cut to the factory width of the frame rails and weld it in on the inside of the rails. After that I was going to get a large ratchet strap and wrap it around the frame. I was then going to cut out the crossmember and then weld in the new one. Then measure and make sure it is all square before I reassemble.

For the body I'm going to be using a panel puller. A friend is helping me with this and his profession is restoring cars so this is all what I was told by him.

This Jeep is strictly an offroad vehicle. Anything more than an hours drive away to get to the trails I will be using a trailer. I'm not worried how it looks at all, I just want it to be strong and safe.

Sorry for no pictures, I don't own a camera. I will see if I can borrow one.

Thank you,

-Joe

Last edited by Pirate Joe; 11-07-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 141853
If it's going to be a trail rig, why not cut the damage out and weld in new rails or rear tube section?
Oze30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 140656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oze30 View Post
If it's going to be a trail rig, why not cut the damage out and weld in new rails or rear tube section?
I'm a sophomore in college. I'm working on a $0 budget. Haha. Anything that has to do with welding I do Metal Fab class. My new crossmember is being made out of some 2x4 3/16" tubing that was laying around.

Thanks,

-Joe
Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 140656
Can anyone provide this dimension? For body mounts I'm going to be doing Cage to Frame Tie in's on the C Pillar with a bushing at the frame end.
All I need is the frame width on the inside so I can start my new crossmember.

Thanks,

-Joe
Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 133523
i have measurements i took while working on centering my 8.8 axle.from what i measured on my jeep the inside measurement was 37 3/4" this is from above where the axle mounts.
jeepercreeper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 140656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepercreeper77 View Post
i have measurements i took while working on centering my 8.8 axle.from what i measured on my jeep the inside measurement was 37 3/4" this is from above where the axle mounts.
The frame rails go straight back from that point on so that is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.

-Joe
Old 04-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 200853
Rear crossmember mount dimentions

can anyone with a YJ confirme the mesurment 1147.5mm for the rear crossmember holes are exact? i got the drawing of the CJ7 crossmember so i can get it build, but i need the mesure of the mount holes since i am putting a YJ tub on the CJ frame !
pr0zak8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 67606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Joe View Post
That's very good but it doesn't have the dimensions on the inside of the frame rails in the rear. Thank you anyways.

-Joe
You gotta be shittin me? You can't subtract?
Kickin'Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote