Add-ons to factory cage - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 04:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 122683
Add-ons to factory cage

I'd like to full-cage my '94 Wrangler. Looks like all of the commercially available front tube kits do away with the stock main hoop to windshield tubes. I don't ever intend to run with the windshield down and I'm sure the O.E. design relies on the windshield frame as part of the support system. I'd just like to add down tubes along the sides of the windshield, attach to the cowl and down to the floor, then a horizontal cross tube between the factory windshield tubes and another behind the seats for harness attachment. And possibly frame tie-ins. No problem with making the stuff myself.

Any thoughts on this?
diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 124263
Look at Rock Hard,
wheeler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2009, 06:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 102053
Man,

Replace those stock windshield tubes. Lowering windshield has nothing to do with this issue. If you take them off and look at the stock tube, you wouldn't even ask about this. for the cost/trouble of 2 more little pieces of DOM, you need to just change them out.

Unless of course you just want them down tubes 'cause they look all cool and "hardcore"!

Last edited by pachary; 11-08-2009 at 06:31 AM.
pachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 102053
Oh wait, I just read the rest of this post!

You actually are considering this, but are doing frame tie-ins and harness bar!?!?!

Old 11-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 122683
If the stock windshield tubes are flimsy, how about the rest of the O.E. system? I've seen some stock Jeeps that rolled and didn't get flattened so I have to believe there's at least minimal protection there to begin with. All I want is a little added protection and, yeah, the hardcore look. How much does it really take?

Flame on; I'm willing to listen.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Off The Wagon

Member # 127313
Same cage design of the TJ right? My Grandfather recently put one on his Jeep, it's a awesome setup for the price and no welding (though I prefer a welded in cage anyday).

Don't know the make, but it covers the whole front portion of the Jeep very well in a good thick tube, and comes down and connects to the dash. If this sounds like what you want, I'll grab pics and the make.

EDIT: A best cage PERIOD is not a stock add on cage, to really do it right (if you don't know how to weld) go to a shop, have them build you a GOOD cage, one that will save your life in a hard roll. It will probably cost about $1000 to have a good shop build a good cage, but you can't go wrong.

Don't want to end up like this is in a bad roll?

Willys Build http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=824952

“If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”
- John Wooden RIP
"Let every man have a pistol, instead of one man have a tank."

Last edited by 2003_ram; 11-08-2009 at 08:30 AM.
2003_ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 102053
All I am saying diesel, is that if you are doing the rest, the bars from the main hoop to windshield are so easy and inexpensive to do.................

I don't see any reason to not do them since you are already sourcing tube and fabbing anyways.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 122683
Anybody know what the wall thickness is on the o.e. windshield tubes? Are they thinner than the rest of the factory tubes? I don't have a problem with replacing them but I'd still keep the windshield tie-ins. Just my humble opinion but I think the windshield frame has a fair amount of structural integrity and I wouldn't want to lose that. I'd rather add to what's already there. No point in compromising whatever protection has been engineered into the vehicle only to have to get it back with more and heavier tubes.

The Rock Hard kit puts the down tubes way inboard and the tube handles, while conveniently placed, don't look right. The dash bracket and lower parts are nice.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 123563
Check out the atoz fab cages. I have the front add-on kit and its easy to install and fairly inexpensive.

West Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 122683
Hey that looks good!
Old 11-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46229
I ran across this add on kit. Really good price.
http://www.swracecars.com/Files/pdf/CATpg22.pdf
FF3PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 102053
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
Check out the atoz fab cages. I have the front add-on kit and its easy to install and fairly inexpensive.

2 things I would add on that cage is a rear spreader, and ditch the stock connectors at the main hoop for the windshield bars. Mine aint perfect either, you'll just research and decide what works for you!

Oh, I also added gussets at EVERY possible joint.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3511
Take a look at the KOZ cages. Mine is sort of a copy of the way they do theirs, but with more complicated spreaders.

The stock YJ cage is nicer than the stock TJ cage - main hoop is all one piece - not bolted together like on a TJ.

Since a good tight cage covers up the lower windsheild brackets, you need to retain the upper brackets or come up with some other way to keep the windsheild up.

Last edited by oldjeep; 11-10-2009 at 06:29 AM.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote