YJ wheelbase stretch - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
YJ wheelbase stretch

Hey guys,
So I just transferred from an XJ to a YJ and am getting ready to move my rear axle back about 5-6"

I've read that you can keep the frameside spring mount in the stock location if you use an XJ spring, but my question is, how much of a lift spring will I need to keep my 4-5" of lift using XJ leafpacks and staying spring under in the rear? I'll be mounting my shackle out back of the frame similar to how the BTF kit does.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

-Richard

2008 JKU Rubicon: 2.5" RE Spring lift, 35" KM2's, TNT Alum belly skids, winch, yada yada yada, its powered by a Caravan motor

Last edited by DutchVDub; 12-04-2009 at 06:57 AM.
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Why are you staying SUA?
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
Well I talked to BTF and they said that even with keeping SUA an XJ spring will typically give 1" of lift over the comparable YJ spring, so my question is answered.

I'm keeping SUA in the rear to fight axle wrap. It'll be SOA up front with a shackle reversal and stock height springs, and SUA with 4" lift XJ springs and relocated shackles in the rear. Its already on 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ'z w/ 4.10 gears. I'm swapping the rear out with a disc-brake Exploder 8.8 (also 4.10 and welded) and the front is getting a D44. Eventually I'll be swapping in a D300 t-case also, or doing another TeraLow 4:1 swap in the NP231. I'm leaning towards the D300 because it'll be cheaper and stronger. My wheelbase should grow by about 6-7" total by the time I'm done too, so I'll be about where I was with my XJ.

2008 JKU Rubicon: 2.5" RE Spring lift, 35" KM2's, TNT Alum belly skids, winch, yada yada yada, its powered by a Caravan motor
Old 12-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 66452
Send a message via AIM to jeep795
xj springs are alittle wider then yj springs, they're normally set up spring over and don't have too many issues with axle wrap. With the right spring perch and hd springs, axle wrap won't be all that bad.
jeep795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
I had a lot of issues with axle wrap on my xj. It was running an 8.8 with 4" Alcan made springs. It also had 1.5" u-bolt eliminaters and 1.5" shackles though. I think the u-bolt eliminaters were a major contributor to m axle wrap, although they were significantly longer than stock perches from front to rear.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 22908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep795 View Post
xj springs are alittle wider then yj springs, they're normally set up spring over and don't have too many issues with axle wrap. With the right spring perch and hd springs, axle wrap won't be all that bad.
XJ springs SOA wrap hella bad. The springs are also 2.5" same as the yj. I am running mine spring over and had to add a wrap bar. It shouldn't wrap as bad spring under, but it will be noticeable. The stock xj springs are almost flat.
4whlflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
I'm still tryog tryin to decide if I'm going sua or soa in the rear. The advantage of going soa is I'll be able to use practically free stock xj spring but then I'll definately have to make a traction bar. If I stay sua in the rear I'll have to spend money on some xj 4" lift springs, but I shouldn't have axle wrap issues.

And yes, xj springs are 2.5" wide just like yj springs.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 47749
I hav'nt done it, but a friend of mine in Co. did a stretch on his YJ, but IIRC he went SOA. He mounted the shackles to the back of the frame/crossmember/bumber. He had to move the gas tank on the stretch YJ project, so I'm guessing you'd have to also. On the other hand, he kept his wifes YJ SUA in the rear, but had to move the shackle mounts to the bottom of the frame in order to keep it level with the front, (coils) but kept the stock length.

WRM
Old 12-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
I'm basing my build on both my old XJ and my neighbors YJ.

My neighbor's is on 37's with 5.33 gears, ARBfront and rear inside tera60 axles. A 4-1 atlas, comp cut, full cage, tube fenders, and SOA with stretched rear and front shackle reversal.

I'm not going as big money on parts as he did but I'm also trying to get mine built up in a few months where he's built his up slowly over almost 10yrs.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep795 View Post
Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4whlflop View Post
XJ springs SOA wrap hella bad. The springs are also 2.5" same as the yj. I am running mine spring over and had to add a wrap bar. It shouldn't wrap as bad spring under, but it will be noticeable. The stock xj springs are almost flat.
Right.

I'd suggest the anti-wrap bar. I think the advantages in off road performance of going SOA far outweigh the added cost of the anti-wrap bar.

I have built a hybrid spring pack for mine however, as the stock XJ springs were just too soft. I'm running two main leafs and two secondary leafs along with the rest of the stock spring pack. It works VERY well.
Attached Images

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab
Old 12-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
Dude, sweet looking rig. Specs?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 133869
I did the same thing you are talking about a year ago. (even with a welded up 4.10 geared 8.8 in the back). I got mine level with my 2.5 inch Rubicon express pack and 1 inch lift shackles I had in the front by bastardizing the old YJ RE rear pack and combining it with the XJ leafs. I went through a ton of trial and error with leaf combinations and shackle angle and legenth but it ended up level. Oh by the way you are still going to need a anti wrap bar, trust me. I tried to run it without one and I blew up a ton of u joints, it's really not that hard to make one even out of crap you have laying around your yard (thats what I did). There are some pictures on my photobucket

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/y...harps/?start=0

the pics at this stage start at p.27 and some pics of how it sat on p.19 and my homemade u bolt flip kit on p.20.

hope this helps, Alex
alehandro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
Dude, sweet looking rig. Specs?
Bluetorch built it for the first Fabstock event.

btf yj2xj kit, btf full width kit, btf sliders, btf corners, btf front fenders, custom cage and front tubework. Solid 60 w/ detroit, 37" Iroks on Procomp wheels held by trailready beadlocks. Wow that's a mouthful!

Since then I've added the HP44 front w/ detroit alloys and ctm's, Atlas 4spd, propane, etc. The rig works great as it sits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehandro3 View Post
I went through a ton of trial and error with leaf combinations and shackle angle and legenth but it ended up level. Oh by the way you are still going to need a anti wrap bar, trust me.
Same here. This is my 3rd set of spring packs. The XJ's are great, but the're a bit too soft out of the box.

Sniper Fab
Old 12-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeters89 View Post
Wrong

Right.

I'd suggest the anti-wrap bar. I think the advantages in off road performance of going SOA far outweigh the added cost of the anti-wrap bar.

I have built a hybrid spring pack for mine however, as the stock XJ springs were just too soft. I'm running two main leafs and two secondary leafs along with the rest of the stock spring pack. It works VERY well.
I would suggest that you add some springs wraps on them.Your main will last longer.And they will help with axle wrap.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheepin View Post
I would suggest that you add some springs wraps on them.Your main will last longer.And they will help with axle wrap.
This thread, and that pic I posted, reminded me of that actually

I ordered them earlier tonight.

Sniper Fab
Old 12-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
Ok, well I did a little bit of "work" on it today. Its only 12deg F today and I have no heat in my garage so this was all I did. I should be picking up 2 sets of stock XJ springs and my 4.10 8.8 today too.

I got these from RuffStuff, they're my new rear shackle hangers. Cost me 52.00$ shipped. I'll be welding them onto my home-made rear bumper that I have yet to make.

first one welded

and the second one welded

Old 12-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 7647
welds look good.

Sniper Fab
Old 12-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 31780
just did mine a couple months ago with the same style mounts you are using on my bumper/crossmember.im running re springover springs witch are stock length yj springs.
Attached Images

Dixon 4Wheelers
Build it, Break it,Fix it, Repeat!
88 mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
Sweet man, looks good. Got any more pics?

Ok, so I was only able to get ahold of 1 set of stock XJ springs for now. The other guy never called me.

I also got my new 8.8 for $160. It's a 4.10 open axle w/ disc brakes. Time to weld the spiders and get some perches

Old 12-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
new axle

new springs

These are the spring perches I'm getting, I'll see how they work at controlling axlewrap. At 30$ its worth the experiment, I can always add a trac-bar later.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...rch-p-253.html

Last edited by DutchVDub; 12-07-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:59 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
I can always add a trac-bar later.
I sheared one of the bolts on my anti-wrap bar on the Rubicon this summer. Trust me, you'll add one

Sniper Fab
Old 12-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 31780
here are a couple more,one is the front mount whitch was moved 7.5" back and one is a side shot.
Attached Images

Dixon 4Wheelers
Old 12-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 133593
Thats a sweet looking rig man, very similar to what I have in mind for mine.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 mangler View Post
here are a couple more,one is the front mount whitch was moved 7.5" back and one is a side shot.
how do you like the RE SOA springs?

Sniper Fab
Old 12-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 31780
i love them,they flex great.i ran them for the past couple years in the stock location and the decided to use them for the stretch.i didnt want to have to deal with all the problems that come with running xj springs.sorry i dont have any action shots of it.i havent had it out since i stretched it, just got the new trackbar,trans crossmember, and skid plate done last week by WFO Concepts in auburn,ca

Dixon 4Wheelers