14 bolt rear axle swap questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 145667
14 bolt rear axle swap questions

I am trying to swap a 14 bolt into the rear of my 96 cherokee to replace the 1/2 ton 89' Cherokee D44 because I am running 37" tires and low gearing and think that it will most like go out after a little abuse. My friend has a 14 bolt laying in his back yard that he is pretty sure is out of a 77 1 ton chevy K-30 with drum brakes. How can I tell for sure what the axle is out of and if it is out of a 77 1 ton would it be a FF or SF? Also what would i measure on my jeep and on the axle to see if I would have to cut it to fit and where to place the leaf spring pads at? Also does anyone know how much weight it cuts off the axle to change it from drum to disk brakes?
JeepWheeler25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 68434
This will get you started

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ble/index.html
Dig It is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 145667
thanks for the link that helped out a lot but im still a little confused about a few things... I currently have a front D44 from a wagoneer that I believe is about 59" wms but it has Chevy disk brakes installed on it could this change the wms? If the front is really 59" WMS-WMS then what would be the easiest way to get the 77' GM DRW 14 bolt with drums which i believe has a 72" wms-wms to the correct length with disk brakes installed?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 145667
I found the stock 87-90 XJ Dana 44 WMS-WMS and it is about 60 3/4" but it does not have the pad perch width listed. I know that for the 1 ton 14 bolt DRW that I have it is 40.5" of perch spacing. I would normally just go out and do some measuring but I am not currently near my jeep or the 14 bolt axle
Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWheeler25 View Post
I currently have a front D44 from a wagoneer that I believe is about 59" wms but it has Chevy disk brakes installed on it could this change the wms?
Fullsize Jeep and Chevy used the same brake parts, so it doesn't really have "Chevy" disc brakes on it. If it has a 59" WMS, somebody cut it down.

Quote:
If the front is really 59" WMS-WMS then what would be the easiest way to get the 77' GM DRW 14 bolt with drums which i believe has a 72" wms-wms to the correct length with disk brakes installed?
It would have to be narrowed by someone who knows how to narrow a rear axle. Judging by the questions, you don't have the necessary knowledge and most likely lack the correct tools.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 145667
Ya I do not personally know how but a few people that I know have swapped out many 14 bolts and know how to install the differentials and lockers also. I was just wondering what kind of parts I would need to get this axle set up and under my jeep if it is even possible to do this. So does anyone know if it would be possible to swap a DRW 14 bolt FF out out of a 77' GM truck with drum brakes into an XJ. If so what would be required? (cutting, new shafts, etc...) any links with info or XJ rear 14 bolt swaps would be great. I have done a lot of searching but could not find the answers that I was looking for so any help would be appreciated
Old 01-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Of course it's a possible swap.

Just like any other swap with leaf springs you need spring pads on the axle to line up with the leaf springs.

You need the driveshaft to be the right length and have the right ujoint size to attach to the rear axle.

You need shock mounts and the proper brake lines and emergency brake cables.

Now, without narrowing the axle it will be goofy wide, especially if you don't swap in a really wide front axle which you're not likely to find.

A better choice if you have to have a 14 bolt (not a wise choice IMO) would be either a SRW pickup version which is 67.5" WMS to WMS or a dually cab&chassis version which is 63.5" WMS to WMS.

If you find info on swapping one into a YJ or CJ the same basis things apply to your XJ. They all have leaf springs in the rear, so there's nothing really special just because it's an XJ.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 145667
I just purchased a C&C 14 bolt it has a 63.5" wms. I want to swap in disk brakes and a ARB locker. I have been looking around at disk brake kits and ARB lockers I have found some alright deals but I have heard of a lot of people getting better prices on 14 bolt parts. Does anyone know of any websites that have really good prices on ARB lockers and disk brake kits? Also will I need new axle shafts to switch the drum brakes to disk brakes?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 126796
Quote:
I just purchased a C&C 14 bolt it has a 63.5" wms. I want to swap in disk brakes and a ARB locker. I have been looking around at disk brake kits and ARB lockers I have found some alright deals but I have heard of a lot of people getting better prices on 14 bolt parts. Does anyone know of any websites that have really good prices on ARB lockers and disk brake kits? Also will I need new axle shafts to switch the drum brakes to disk brakes?
Check the Vendor area on the board. Most listed there give a pbb discount and know what they are talking about. When I bought my locker and gears I used alljeep.com aka waynehartwig

He is one of the vendors listed and shipping was fast with great service.

Last edited by jsmith7364; 01-14-2010 at 08:03 AM.
jsmith7364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Also will I need new axle shafts to switch the drum brakes to disk brakes?
No you won't. You might want to google "14 bolt disc brake swap" to see what you're doing. There's really no need for any kit. The only non-factory part that's necessary is a bracket to mount the calipers to and lots of vendors make them.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 133157
Quote:
Ruff stuff specialties has great brackets for the 14b disc brake swap. For the rest, i read through the billa vista 14 bolt disc brake conversion...did whole swap for somewhere around $230, including brackets from ruff stuff, calipers, rotors, caliper pins, rebuild kit etc. Easy swap. Good luck Oh, and unless you're stuck on the ARB, I'd do a detroit, also easy; drops into 14 two piece carrier, and is only like $4-500.
adamusmc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 100383
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamusmc2002 View Post
Ruff stuff specialties has great brackets for the 14b disc brake swap. For the rest, i read through the billa vista 14 bolt disc brake conversion...did whole swap for somewhere around $230, including brackets from ruff stuff, calipers, rotors, caliper pins, rebuild kit etc. Easy swap. Good luck Oh, and unless you're stuck on the ARB, I'd do a detroit, also easy; drops into 14 two piece carrier, and is only like $4-500.
I second that on Ruff Stuff, I get all my stuff from them.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 103442
Send a message via AIM to GreatWhiteXJ
Quote:
That really sucks that you jumped the gun and bought a 63.5" 14. If your keeping leafs, it wont fit. The perches will be at the very outte edge of the tube and leave you no room to effectivly weld it. And an even bigger issue is the brakes. Even with a disc swap, the leafs will hit the brakes. And there's absolutly no way around it.

I know your trying to comprimise width between front and rear, but unless you do dramatic suspension changes, a 63.5" 14 will not work. Period.

Sell the 63.5 and get a 67.

Your only other options are to relocate leafs or to 4 link.