My CJ5 Wagoneer spring build. SUA - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 148852
My CJ5 Wagoneer spring build. SUA

I'm getting ready to replace my crappy springs with some stock waggy fronts, and thought I would get some before pix and spec's up, before I start taking it apart. My current rear springs are some unknown brand of 4" lift spring that I bought from a buddy a couple years ago. I removed one leaf from them to try and get them to flex a little. It didn't work. The front's were also cheap used springs from a my buddy, but I removed one leaf from them, and one of them broke. So it now has the cheapest 4" new front springs I could find at that point in time.
I've got four waggy front spring's sitting in my garage waiting to be installed, I'm just waiting on new u-bolts and new shackle hangers for the front.
Here's some specs as it sits now;
Front bumper height - 28.5"
Rear bumper height at receiver - 23.5"
Frame height at transfer case - 23"
36" swamper height with 8#'s of air - 34"
Wheel base - 84" +/- an inch. (fixed)

And now the pictures, I know these are all poser pix, but this way I can compare the new springs at the same spot.

Last edited by Gear Jammer; 01-09-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Gear Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 80076
I'll be watching this....

i plan on running waggy springs on my build to start
Old 01-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 116007
34" wheelbase?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 22908
I believe the wheelbase for a late CJ-5 is ~85".
4whlflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
EOD

Member # 76858
I'm in and subscribed. Are you upgrading axles at all?
sfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 148852
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0101 View Post
34" wheelbase?
It's the supper shorty model.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 148852
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
I'm in and subscribed. Are you upgrading axles at all?
The rear has superior one piece shafts in it, and a spool. The front has stock internals and some cheapy used lunchbox locker. When the front dies I'm planning on finding a 44 out of a wagoneer to replace it, and probably a wagoneer 20 for the rear.

Last edited by Gear Jammer; 01-10-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 148852
I was able to get a little bit done on the Jeep today in between everything else I had going on. I got the rear springs mounted on the Jeep, unfortunately I don't have my new u-bolts yet so I can't finish up the rear end. I turned my rear shackle hanger around and bolted it up backwards on the passenger side before I mounted my spring. Once I mounted the spring I realized that I didn't need to move the hanger back nearly that far. I ended up mounting it in the proper direction but one hole farther back. It's temporary for now, until I can set the Jeep back on the ground, under it's own weight, and make a decision on how far back, or if I even need to move it back at all. I mounted the driver side rear spring up with the shackle hanger in the stock location so that I can compare the shackle angles with the weight of the jeep on it before I make my final decision. I think the reason that I don't need to move the hangers back as far is because I am running really long shackles, I believe they measure 6" eye to eye.
Here's a couple pictures of the springs for comparison,

In this one I marked the center pin with a silver line so that you could see how far back it is on the wagoneer springs. You can also see that the old sacked out rear springs that I was running have about the same arch as the wagoneer springs with no weight on them. The wagoneer springs feel significantly softer though.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 148852
Here's a couple more pictures. You can see the shackle angle difference I was talking about.

I cut the bumper for clearance on this one, but I'm not sure that I needed to.

Here's the driver side with the shackle hanger in the stock location.

This is with the jeep on jack stands and just the weight of the axle on the springs.

Last edited by Gear Jammer; 01-12-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 148852
I got my u-bolts today so I could finish putting the rear end back together. I ended up leaving the rear shackle hangers in there stock location, with the long shackles I'm running the shackle angle ended up looking pretty good. I can see that I'm going to have to cut more sheet metal off than I had originally thought. I'm ok with that. The one problem that I thought I was going to be able to avoid is gas tank clearance. I thought I would just barely have enough room for the rear diff to slide past the gas tank, but as you can see in the picture below, it ain't gonna work. I'm gonna get everything else buttoned up before I tackle the gas tank issue's. I can't put the tank in the back of the tub, because I need that area for a car seat.

I'm really gonna like the new stance.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 111759
This makes me miss my 79 CJ5... subscribed for sentimental reasons!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 83100
I'm about to tackle the same thing, but Waggy front and rear. My old springs are Rancho 2 1/2", but they seem to have less flex than your old ones. With trimming I want to be able to run 35" tires, I have 33's on it now.

Last edited by BeatCJ; 01-15-2010 at 04:49 PM.
BeatCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 148852
Hopefully by Sunday I will have front done as well. My wife and I just brought our new born son home from the hospital, so the next couple weeks (rest of my life) will be kinda busy. When I say done I should point out that I won't have the gas tank issue sorted out by Sunday, and I'm not sure if the steering is going to work as is, or need some modifying.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 148852
I was able to get the front springs under the Jeep today. I left the shackle hangers in the stock location, hoping that they would work there, since I didn't have to move the rear's, I'm gonna have to move the front hangers. You can see in the pictures that the front shackle angle is too much, and because of this the front of the jeep is sitting low. The wheel base is now 89". I don't think that I'm gonna get a chance to work on it tomorrow, but hopefully I will Monday.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 101688
That shackle angle looks good to me, should give nice droop. I had a SRS and tried three different shackle angles and the one that flexed the best had a little more angle than yours(top of shackle was closer to axle).

Somebody makes a gas tank for your situation out back, I think it's Gen-Right.

Edit: Yeah Gen-Right, pricey though http://www.genright.com/category.aspx?categoryID=31

Last edited by 1977; 01-16-2010 at 09:24 PM.
1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 148852
I really want the front shackle angle to match the rear, mostly because the front is sitting about an inch lower than the rear right now, and I want to level it out a bit. I know I lose a small amount of droop, but I'm ok with it. I saw the gen-right tanks, there nice, but outa my price range. I work with some guys that weld steam boilers for a living, I think they can handle welding a notch in a gas tank, but I haven't asked them yet. The other thing I'm gonna have to deal with in the front is the drag link hitting the tie rod, because of how far the axle has moved forward. My plan is to flip the drag link to the top side of the ear on the steering knuckle. I'll get some pictures of the interference in the steering tomorrow. I'm also gonna need my front drive shaft lengthened, but I got a local shop that will do it for $75.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 148852
I got the front shackle hangers moved to the front of the frame, there just tack welded on for now. I like the angle and the stance better now, it raised the front end up 1" which was just enough to level the jeep out.
Here's the measurements as it sits now,
Front height - 24.5"
Rear at receiver - 23"
Frame - 20"
Wheel base - 89"
Here's what they were before for comparison,
Front bumper height - 28.5"
Rear bumper height at receiver - 23.5"
Frame height at transfer case - 23"
Wheel base - 85"
As you can see, my jeep had a serious prerunner thing going on before I started. That was because my old rear springs were, old, with a leaf missing, and my old fronts were, new, with all leaf's intact. Now I just need to build a flat skid plate for the trans/transfere case, although I didn't lose too much clearance there.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 148852
I got to play with the sawzall today, made some room for the wheel base stretch. I'm not sure is I have enough room for up travel at the front, maybe enough at the rear, but I gotta wait till I get the tank clearanced. Hopefully that won't take too long.

Here's before and after pix,

Old 01-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 148852
I finally got my tank notched, and was able to get some flex pix. My shocks are too short and are limiting droop. I'm gonna use the fork lift at work tomorrow to get some measurements for new shocks and a new front drive line. So far my steering just barely clears with no interference.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 27536
Send a message via AIM to Rusty4wd
If I were you I would've moved my rear shackle hanger forward to match the front shackle angle after you swapped to waggy springs. The original shackle angle in the front with the wags was much better and would've rode better offering up more droop. Might also consider off set drilling a hole in both rear spring perches on the axle about an inch and a half as well as the spring plates the u-bolts go through. This would gain a little more wheelbase and center the rear axle in the wheel well. When I did my CJ5 wheelbase stretch I ended up at 99"s and did that to push it to the "magic" 100" mark. Dig the look none the less though.

Last edited by Rusty4wd; 02-02-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Rusty4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 148852
The original front shackle angle just didn't look right to me. I agree that it would of flexed better, but the look drove me nuts, and it still rides and flex's a ton better than it did before. I may use different spring perches and plates to move the rear back another inch in the future, but I will need to build a new gas tank to keep enough clearance.

Here's the fork lift pic. I measured 30" from the tire to the ground. After I get my front drive line lengthened I will get a picture of my jeep on the log I took the before pictures on for comparison.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 27536
Send a message via AIM to Rusty4wd
If it works for you that's all that matters. I'm gonna have to find another 5 after I finish my 8 up. I'm thinking Wagy 44's, 2.5" BDS sua YJ springs, 302 HO w/GT40 intake and heads, T18, flat belly, 96" wheelbase, blah, blah. Should be simple and a blast to drive. Enjoy your 5.
Rusty4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
POLYMATH

Member # 113176
Send a message via AIM to LucasFury
Your shocks aren't the only thing limiting your droop. You should have left that shackle angle alone.
I just want people to mind their own business and leave me the fawk alone if I'm not fucking up their shit.
LucasFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 148852
Thanks Scott, your CJ looks good, I really like how the TJ flares look on the back. Sadly I traded my CJ off for a XJ a couple weeks ago. I needed something a little more car seat friendly, now I get to start just about all over again.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 156136
Gotta say I was really diggin this thread, and love the stance on that 5. Sorry to hear you don't have it anymore. Were those stock waggy springs tho?
cottonmouth is offline   Reply With Quote