Doner vehicle for D44 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 155540
Doner vehicle for D44

Hey guys I have a 93 xj with a D30 and am looking for a 44. Our salvage yard has a bunch od xj and zjs and a little bit of everything else. Is there a vehicle inparticular that I need to be looking at for the D44?
Funrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 107302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funrocks View Post
Hey guys I have a 93 xj with a D30 and am looking for a 44. Our salvage yard has a bunch od xj and zjs and a little bit of everything else. Is there a vehicle inparticular that I need to be looking at for the D44?
1993 Honda Accord, they have hp44 front and rear.
unclethumbtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Launch it

Member # 43592
Send a message via MSN to Georgia boy '88
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclethumbtack View Post
You shouldn't mislead him like that. He needs to find an 85-87 Chevrolet 1/2 ton 4x4. It will be almost bolt in.

Does this even qualify as a newbie question?

Ok since this got moved to the correct section. You need to search and have an idea of what you want. Do you want an HP, LP, front, rear, drivers drop, or passenger drop?

Last edited by Georgia boy '88; 03-28-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Georgia boy '88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 108388
And do you want it fullwidth or close to the stock width?..You need to provide more details instead of a vague question "like where can I get a Dana 44 from?"....
RGRHASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 155540
Quote:
Your a real funny guy

I will try to get better info for you guys. I'm looking for front HP drivers side drop. Would like to get rid of the Crhysler 8.25 in the rear and go for something a little tougher.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
vayacondios

Member # 87698
Quote:
Go back and read the forum rules, no flaming in non-hardcore.

Take this with a grain of salt, but typically the older jeeps and gm were passenger drop, the later jeeps, fords and dodges were drivers drop. Google may have an answer for you.

http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0101..._up/index.html

fasten your seat belt, it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your rig
----

NRA LIFE MEMBER

----

Last edited by beefdawg; 03-28-2010 at 07:39 PM.
beefdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Launch it

Member # 43592
Quote:
Your a real funny guy

I will try to get better info for you guys. I'm looking for front HP drivers side drop. Would like to get rid of the Crhysler 8.25 in the rear and go for something a little tougher.
In that case you need a pre-1980 Ford, you still haven't answered whether you want to go full width or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefdawg View Post
Go back and read the forum rules, no flaming in non-hardcore.
Perhaps just maybe this thread didn't start in non-hardcore... That might be why I recommended a passenger drop 10 bolt to him...

Last edited by Georgia boy '88; 03-28-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Georgia boy '88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 155540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funrocks
Your a real funny guy

In that case you need a pre-1980 Ford, you still haven't answered whether you want to go full width or not.

Sorry Georgia boy. Thanks for more help and less grief. I'm wanting to stay close to factory length. I'm not real sharp at this and have only been into wheelin for about 2 years. I just bought my first full time trail rig and am wanting to jump in head first. I have used the search but couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I have a feeling this might be my last question on this foru as I don't like all the smart mouthing. I thought this would be good for helping others.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Launch it

Member # 43592
Quote:
Quote:
Your a real funny guy

Sorry Georgia boy. Thanks for more help and less grief. I'm wanting to stay close to factory length. I'm not real sharp at this and have only been into wheelin for about 2 years. I just bought my first full time trail rig and am wanting to jump in head first. I have used the search but couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I have a feeling this might be my last question on this foru as I don't like all the smart mouthing. I thought this would be good for helping others.
The thing about this forum is, it has more combined knowledge than you will find anywhere else for off roading. The flaming is because you asked a basic question that could be found through a proper search and you asked in the wrong forum. You originally posted in hardcore Cherokee, that is like asking an elementary school question in a college level physics class. Stick around and learn to use the search feature, then you will learn more than you could have imagined.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 155540
Fair enough
Old 03-29-2010, 04:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 140656
Quote:
Quote:
Your a real funny guy

I agree on the Pre-80s Ford. This will have a HP D44 front with a Ford 9" rear and that is a pretty stout combo. Make sure you do a little research because I know some years of the 70s Fords do have some issues with mounting in to other vehicles due to the casting of the radius arm mounts. I know Supercab F-150 models and F-250s models will be leaf sprung and will not have this problem. The F-150s will be a touch wider than stock so that is your best bet, the F-250s will be full width.
Another combo to consider, and this is what I believe I am going to do, is either a Waggy D44 front and Ford 8.8 rear or a Waggy D44 front with an XJ D44 rear. You will have to do a little work to get the bolt patterns the same but both of these combos are relatively budget and can handle a set of 35s without having to worry too much about breaking things. I won't go into a long explanation here but if you PM me I will give you full details on both and how to do them.

As far as the people on this forum, they can be a little harsh. Most guys here know what they are doing and they expect you to know the same. Just stick around, search before you post and give full details in the questions you do ask. This forum can teach you everything you need to know but it is still up to you to apply it.

I hope this has been informative and I wish you the best of luck with your wheeling experiences, welcome aboard!

-Joe
Pirate Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 19251
Probably just about anything you might like to know about d44's would be found here, thanks to Pirate member Mr. N.

By the way," d44 swap" gave up 65 threads. The search function really is your friend.

Last edited by microtus; 03-29-2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: added link
microtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 87682
A high pinion 44 out ot a 78 or 79 F250.Best 44 made, ck out http://77cj.littlekeylime.com for info on how to make it stock width.An 8.8 would be great in the rear.
wranglerwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 86713
The 78-79 Bronco/f-150 have the radius arm wedges cast into the housing. A little harder to do something other than the ford style arms. I would look for a 74-77 f-150 axle. It will have welded on wedges, and thicker tubes. Much easier to work with.
81eagle is offline   Reply With Quote