Rear diff blowing fluid out of the vent tube... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 135054
Rear diff blowing fluid out of the vent tube...

I just did a ARB 4.88s and 35 spline shafts in my rear D44 of my cherokee and now I have gear oil blowing out of the vent tube.

My ARB is NOT leaking I have double and triple checked and its not over filled either I am running a stock diff cover with a diff guard.

I have done some research and I read have some people moved there vent tube to the top of the center section.
Is this a good idea or not?

Or is there any other suggestions anyone can think of?

Thanks,
Joey
Old 04-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 120823
Send a message via MSN to leehype Send a message via Skype™ to leehype
Both my front and rear do this on occasion. I moved the rear vent line up to the front next to the front vent, and added a small resivor to catch excess fluid. The problem for me wasn't fluid blowing out, it is simply bubbling out, the res I put in allows the tubes to "burp" saving the fluid.
leehype is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 127425
kinda sounds like the side gears are acting as pumps, sending oil out to the wheel bearings like they should but the oil isnt able to return back to the center section quick enough. Look at the notches cut in under or next to the carrier bearings to see if they are clogged. Also moving the vent off the tube and on top of the pumpkin should solve it. but id still check the drain back notches for proper oiling.
Hucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 81092
My D44 started doing that after I went from a 2"BB on my TJ to a 4" suspension. I think it was because the diff was tilted back further. I ziptied a plastic bag with a few blue shop towels in it over the diff tube. I had to replace the bag a few months ago after I regeared, but it has worked great since 2005...
txapacheguy is offline   Reply With Quote