32RH 3 speed automatic trans troubles.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 34815
32RH 3 speed automatic trans troubles....

My 16 yr old sons 1999 TJ has a 32RH trans and it has a hard set CEL w/ code P0743, Torque converter clutch solenoid problem. This CEL will not reset and since it is a CEL, this is enough to fail the Jeep for smog. The CEL has been on for several months with the trans seeming to work fine until recently where it now shifts funky on both the up and down shifts.

We bought a 32RH that had been swapped into a 94 Wrangler 5 spd YJ and while it seems many think the transmissions are the same, And I Hoped that it would be true, but I just pulled the pan today to find that the trans in the 99 TJ has a 2 wire TCC solenoid and the TCC solenoid in the trans we bought is a single wire w/ different plug configuration.

Does anyone know if it is possible to swap the connector that plugs into the trans from the 99 to the earlier model and have it work?? If I had the TJ trans out, I could probably figure it out but I am hoping that someone will know?

pics to follow of the differences I have discovered so far. I'm hoping I can make this work but also hoping to supply info for anyone in the future that is going through the same trouble.

Thanks for any info! John
Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 34815
32RH TCC Solenoid internal Connector on Older trans (had been swapped into a 5spd 94 YJ)

External connection of same trans, showing the internal connection plug of the later model connector.

Then it gets weirder......
The plug connector shown in above pic is the end of a Standard part number TCS50 which, according to Rock Auto, is the same TCC solenoid assy. for all years 94-2002. Shown below is a composite pic of the TCS50 which is what is in the 1999 TJ I am working on.

I am going to guess that I can pull the connector that inserts into the trans, the one that connects the internal connection to the outer connector, and use the one out of my 99 trans Along w/ the newer style, TCS50 solenoid.

Has anyone else dealt w/ these connections when swapping older 32RH transmissions into newer TJ's? How about custom wiring of them for a swap? I am so confused......
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 68171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmat3 View Post
32RH TCC Solenoid internal Connector on Older trans (had been swapped into a 5spd 94 YJ)

External connection of same trans, showing the internal connection plug of the later model connector.

Then it gets weirder......
The plug connector shown in above pic is the end of a Standard part number TCS50 which, according to Rock Auto, is the same TCC solenoid assy. for all years 94-2002. Shown below is a composite pic of the TCS50 which is what is in the 1999 TJ I am working on.

I am going to guess that I can pull the connector that inserts into the trans, the one that connects the internal connection to the outer connector, and use the one out of my 99 trans Along w/ the newer style, TCS50 solenoid.

Has anyone else dealt w/ these connections when swapping older 32RH transmissions into newer TJ's? How about custom wiring of them for a swap? I am so confused......
The PCM on a TJ provides a ground to the TC lock-up, use a relay for your setup...