SBC fuel problem - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 156975
SBC fuel problem

I am hoping someone can help me with this.

Before I put The CJ-7 back on the road for the summer, I replace the fuel sending unit w/ new pick-up tube filter. After I finished with that I drove it up to the gas station (filled the tank) and back home (4 mile round trip). Decided to go into town and got about 4-5 miles down the road when it started to surge and lose power, I pulled over and was able to keep it idling and after couple of minutes it was running OK. So took off back down the road and about 5 miles later it started all over again but this time it finally died. Towed it home and found that it was not getting gas. In-line fuel filter was clean and dry. Decide to prime the carb with a shot of gas and it fired right up , after letting it idle in the driveway for a couple of minutes ( no problems) drove it around the neighborhood still no problem. Took off for a short ride and it happened all over again. Talked to couple of people that said it was the fuel pump, so I changed the pump (mechanical) . It started right up after changing the pump. it idled in the driveway for couple of minutes again no problem . Got brave and drove it into town and back ( 14 miles and no problem). Had to go into town couple hours later and on the way back home it stated doing the same thing.

At this time I am puzzled and asking for help.

Thanx,
Rick
mudr83 is offline   Reply With Quote