Bent Frame. how do i measure it to see where its out so i can pull it straight - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 165291
Exclamation Bent Frame. how do i measure it to see where its out so i can pull it straight

the frame on my 92 yj is bent from being pulled out at an angle by a k10 with one tons a zz4 crate engine and some 44 inch boggers. lol.... the back right side of the vehicle sits 3/4s of an inch higher than the back left side. im not sure how to find out where its bent so i can pull it straight. i've considered taking it to a place that works with frames so they could check it out and find out where its bent for me but i'd rather do it myself if possible. are there measurements i can take? how do i find out where its bent? its not a show car but i am very particular of the stance of my vehicles and i'm having problems with my rear axle twisting under the vehicle from scrubbing(cracked shim blocks etc.) any knowledgable feedback would be greatly appreciated.
WESTOF7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 135654
Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTOF7 View Post
the frame on my 92 yj is bent from being pulled out at an angle by a k10 with one tons a zz4 crate engine and some 44 inch boggers. lol.... the back right side of the vehicle sits 3/4s of an inch higher than the back left side. im not sure how to find out where its bent so i can pull it straight. i've considered taking it to a place that works with frames so they could check it out and find out where its bent for me but i'd rather do it myself if possible. are there measurements i can take? how do i find out where its bent? its not a show car but i am very particular of the stance of my vehicles and i'm having problems with my rear axle twisting under the vehicle from scrubbing(cracked shim blocks etc.) any knowledgable feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Get a friend with a YJ.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 155618
i can look it up on a frame machine, but i have to have a vin to put in our computer for it to decode (it won't let me just pick a model). it's going to be pretty detailed though and if you don't know what your looking at or work with metric the drawings can be pretty confusing.

most of the shops in our area charge a standard 2 hours labor to measure a frame (65/hr at our shop) so it might be best just to take it somewhere and get the print out and an estimate on the frame repair. if you've got a diamond in it, don't even try to do it yourself.

any reputable shop should be able to give you a printout before and after also. don't trust it to someone with two trees and a come-a-long.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Low Budget Baller

Member # 37478
I can print out the frame dimensions and fax them to you if you want.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 165291
heres my vin 2j4fy19p2nj504323 theres no shops that i'd trust to pull it in my area. theres a frame rack and all the tools to pull it at my work just nobody that knows how to use them lol. i cant find where its tweaked i just need to know at what points to measure from to see where its out and i think i can do it myself
Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 165291
TERRYJMATHEW think you could email me the dimensions or post them on here? westofseven@hotmail.com
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 21338
before you go spending a crap-load of cash try measuring it. you might be experiencing a few different problems that may eliminate the frame.

on a flat surface measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of your axle tube under all the wheels. Then at about the same area (inch or so) measure the distance from the ground to the frame. you want to try doing this in the same spot on both the driver and passenger sides.

when your done post the results.

you are measuring the spring compression/ tire difference at these points. 3/4" isn't something to worry about in a jeep but something may have come loose or was bent other than your frame. I think it would take much more than what you identified in your post to bend a frame.

Also try your tire pressure.
[url]http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/tech.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/bambar[/url]
[url]http://www.oregonbushhackers.org/tech/cj_specs.shtml[/url]
GoatASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Low Budget Baller

Member # 37478
Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTOF7 View Post
TERRYJMATHEW think you could email me the dimensions or post them on here? westofseven@hotmail.com
You have mail.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 165291
it doesn't take much to tweak a rusty frame. i've eliminated all other possibilities except the frame. i'll post pics if i can find a camara to use and the measurements later tonight.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 165291
thanks TERRYJMATHEW
Old 08-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Low Budget Baller

Member # 37478
No problem. Hope that helps.