Pirate 4x4 banner

2.5 to 4.0 engine swap

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Wrangler dude 
#1 ·
Are there any articles on how to do this?Did a search and came up with a bunch but not my swap.

#4 ·
I thought about going that route when I had my YJ, but when I was researching it all the info. I found showed me that it would cost as much if not more and involve about the same work as if I went ahead and dropped a V-8 in it. Are you wanting to replace the entire drive train or just the engine and keep the transmission/transfer case from the 4 banger?
Me personally, if I was going to swap to a different motor than what the Jeep came with I would go ahead and put a Chevy 350 in it.

#6 · (Edited)
They do make fuel injected 350's.

So either way you will modify engine mounts, have to change transmission, change or modify transfer case and any other odds and ends such as fuel pump, computer wiring, etc. Some of the things may work out great with the 2.5 to 4.0 swap, just from what I found it didn't seem like a simple relocate mounts, bolt up and go swap.

Currently my Jeep has the 4.0 in it and I am happy with it. Great engine and I don't really plan on swapping it out for a V-8. But I do love the sound, power and torque of the V-8.
Not trying to get in an argument over which is better. To me both are great engines, just IMO I would go with the V-8 if I was making the changes, but I know that everyone doesn't want the V-8 and would rather keep the Jeep more stock.

#7 ·
Just an FYI Fuel Pumps are identical from 4to6s wiring only needs 2 wires added for the 5 and 6 injector #38 and #58. 4cy Rad cools the 4.0 fine.

I just went through it and the internet honestly makes it harder and more expensive than it acctually is.

4.0s make good power in stock form.Parts are everywhere.They run forever ETC ETC
V8s are great but I would say it'll cost double to do the V8

#8 ·
they did it in 4 wheeler i think. i have the article somewhere.

lets just say they did LOTS O welding and grinding.

they basically said sell the 4 banger and get the 6.

#10 ·
i just did one about a month ago for a friend of mine. he had a four cylinder yj with a blown endine and a six cylinder with a bad frame.

i took the six out with the harness and trans and reused the four cylinder t case by switching the input gear ( didnt want to use the six case because the 4cyl case already had a s.y.e. .

cut the six cyl frame mounts off of the original frame and welded them into the four cylinder frame.

the wiring harness was the easiest part of the whole deal.

if you have the donor vehicle it is a super easy swap and took me less than two days worknig by myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.