no oil pressure wtf!!!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 164495
Angry no oil pressure wtf!!!!

Ok, I've been posting my repairs of my 79 jeep j20 360 and things have been going well. reworked the heads new distributor ect. lots of changes, after i got her back in time and running right and got her to stop smokin so damn much i change the oil.. no oil pressure wtf?? i used mobil one 10w30 and a fram filter.. never seen this happen.. any ideas on what could be the problem??

Last edited by fire933; 08-19-2010 at 09:08 PM.
fire933 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire933 View Post
Ok, I've been posting my repairs of my 79 jeep j20 360 and things have been going well. reworked the heads new distributor ect. lots of changes, after i got her back in time and running right and got her to stop smokin so damn much i change the oil.. no oil pressure wtf?? i used mobil one 10w30 and a fram filter.. never seen this happen.. any ideas on what could be the problem??
is it a pressure issue or a sending unit issue?

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 164495
yes, she ran for a good 20 mins with excellent pressure hooked up manual gauge and still nothing you can hear the lifters are dry i have roughly 3 pounds and no didnt even think of priming the filter, didnt remove housing. jeep has been sitting awhile thinking maybe clogged filter? the oil was pretty nasty.. a buddy of mine was saying something about a oil pressure bypass valve or something of that nature this is my first amc, so i'm not real sure what the hell he's referring too. also rumors of fram being shit filters... just boggles me she had great pressure till i changed the oil... this is my new plow truck and wood truck winter is approaching fast. i'm afraid to run it too long without pressure i think the longest i ran her dry was 3 minutes with the super low pressure. the bottom end of this engine looks almost brand new was an orange cart truck in the valley somewhere before i bought it. low miles but alot of idle time. oil pump never removed.

Last edited by fire933; 08-19-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 155394
Mechanical or electrical sending unit on the 79? If electrical, maybe you just pulled the wire off the sending unit when you changed the filter, it's right next to the dang thing. To check the electrical crap pull the plug guage should read zero, ground the plug out and the guage should peg...may be other way around, I haven't done it in a while. If the guage does it's thing and the wiring is all good, replace the $15 dollar sensor. Chances are, you didn't shit all your oil pressure at once unless you filled the tranny tube with oil (seen it, swear to God!!).

I missed that last post, I type too slow.

Get on IFSJA.org

Last edited by CutterN55; 08-19-2010 at 11:44 PM.
CutterN55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 05:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 164495
lol no 4 speed manual haha, so couldnt have filled the tranny she has oil and guage is working just barley registering hooked up a manual and its litterally 5 to 7 pounds.. going to replace the fliter today to see what happens the old oil was nasty so maybe it flushed some shit in the filter and is restricting it...
Old 08-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 46937
Try something other than Fram for the filters.
________
Blonde_angel

Last edited by atblis; 08-12-2011 at 04:54 AM.
atblis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 164495
yea picked up an stp filter will see what happens in the morning... had to work late and didnt get back in time to really mess with it tonight. but its priority one in the morning dont know if i can even sleep over it no oil pressure has got me all freaked out.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 164495
well i got rained out today will have to pull the pan off tomorrow something is just not right. going to take oil pan off in the am i pulled the pressure relieve valve cap and spring turned the motor over and the valve its self never came out but oil just trickled out so i'm guessing the pickup screen is clogged.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 164495
ok i have taken off the oil pan and the pump checked everything possible.. is there a possibility they were using a real thick oil before i changed it i remember the old oil was real sludge like coming out very thick.. i put 10-w30 in it when i changed it. am i missing something??
Old 08-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 53344
Pump probably went to shit. Or If they were running an oil addative or something like that STP sludge you may want to tear that thing apart. The oil passages in the top of the engine don't flow all that well anyhow. Throw a little sludge up there and you basically pump all your oil to the top of the engine and it stays there. I would try a new pump since you have the oil pan off anyhow.
PureFunction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 167119
u said the spring came out.did the plunger come to.for a look a one go to bulltear.com.pick v8 page 4 fifth pic down.iuse there plug on my rig 3rd page second from the bottom.
j-20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 72257
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureFunction View Post
Pump probably went to shit. Or If they were running an oil addative or something like that STP sludge you may want to tear that thing apart. The oil passages in the top of the engine don't flow all that well anyhow. Throw a little sludge up there and you basically pump all your oil to the top of the engine and it stays there. I would try a new pump since you have the oil pan off anyhow.
AMC V8 pumps run off the distributor shaft. Mechanically, they are solid. As long as the dizzy is spinning, so are the pump gears. I would still investigate tolerance between the gears and the midplate as well as the housing. A worn plate/housing will obviously affect flow rate, but not to the point of 0 pressure.
FYI, the pump is not under the oil pan...it comes off the timing cover in front of the block
Old 08-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 53344
Cool, learned something new.
PureFunction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 164495
will check into to it what would be the best way to hook air to blow most of the lines out?? it has got to be something simple... on the bypass valve no it never came out the oil just trickled by it pretty much when i would crank the motor.. could it be stuck? if the bypass is stuck half way open would that explain the weird oil pressure... every once in awhile she will jump to 20 but doesnt ever last long.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 167119
hey fire,i talk with a buddy of mine who is a reg. AMC guy.he says no real way to use air.
he said you may end uo with crap in your oil passages around the bearing areas you don't want there.also FRAM filters bad.something about bleedback.not for sure about that though.good luck man
j-20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 164495
yea i:m finding ou t about fram had no problems till that.,,,
Old 08-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 164495
i found this.. and with the combination of the shitty filter i had on there is this a posibility? if so how the hell do i get the darn thing out ??? tried crankin it over without coil wire hooked up and just not really getting much.. and no sign of the valve coming out.
http://bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic...462b0c57731171
Old 08-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
MC
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
I was the guy who engineered the midplate for AMC V8's and they never came stock in any engine....well sort of. They came in Pacer V8's but we mainly for use to re-direct the oildue to the strange oil filter adaptor. It is possible you got a bad oil filter and it is also possible your plunger hole is too large. When and where did you buy your oil pump?

Fully machined components
We own the MFG process, click me
.................................................. .........

American Motors Engine HERE!!
TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689
MC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 164495
well i didnt truck came like she is but she had oil pressure when i bought her.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
MC
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21997
Try a different filter. Some are reporting isues now with WiX as well.

TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689
Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 164495
yes there is a stp filter on there now...
Old 08-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 162819
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire933 View Post
yes there is a stp filter on there now...
nevermind misread your post.

Last edited by jgkjeep; 08-30-2010 at 09:38 AM.
jgkjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
Get Froggy

Member # 139130
Don't want to sound so negative, but sounds like it may be time for a rebuild on the engine. You said it was smoking real bad (probably burning oil, maybe rings are shot) and once you changed the oil, you have no oil pressure. Previous owner may have been running it really thick to prevent it from burning through the oil so quickly, then when you put 10/30 in it, it just isn't enough. Knew someone years back that had a 65 and was running 50W in it for about the last month of the engines life.
If you take your valve cover off and run the engine you will know if it the pump is working or not because if it is, then you will have oil blowing out everywhere. Very messy, but it will tell you if the pump is pumping.
What is up with the Fram oil filters? I have used those for years and never had any problems with them at all and never heard of any, is it certain ones, something new or did I miss something?
merkchop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
MC
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21997
Take the 7/8 nut off the side of the oil filter adaptor and remove the spring and plunger. Plunger might not want to come out that easily you may need to help it out with a screw driver. Sometimes the plunger can get stuck towards the 7/8 bolt because the spring can break. A new plunger and spring may get you rocking again.

TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689
Old 08-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 164495
eureka!! i think we've found the problem.. i took the bypass apart as far as i could for the moment got a screwdriver in there and could get it to move around a bit it seemed to be stuck... now oil pressure is fluctuation between 20 and 45 but untill i can order new parts it will have to do.n and the smoking issue was the carb way out of wack.

Last edited by fire933; 08-30-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.