YJ booster question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rat Bastard

Member # 121913
YJ booster question

I'm in the process of upgrading the brakes on my 95 YJ and I've been doing lots of searching on here about the E350/Dodge/Corvette master cylinder upgrades. I'm leaning towards either the E350 or Corvette swap but from what I'm reading they will not bolt onto the dual brake booster in the 95 YJ's. My jeep came out factory with the 2.5L and if I'm correct, that means it does not have the dual booster....these are the best pics I have right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the single booster...right?

Back2Basic Offroad
Chrisja77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 166607
Yes, thats a single diaphram. 95 wranglers supposedly have a great dual diaphram, not sure what engine they came in though.
alaskanbadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rat Bastard

Member # 121913
From what I have read, they only came in the 4.0 ones....of course I've also heard they came in all 95.5 ones so who knows! I thought it was a single. Good to know, now I can start ordering parts. Thanks!

Back2Basic Offroad
Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 124887
I just did the e350 swap on my 87 wrangler. I got the master cylinder from napa for $22. I then got 2 12" hard lines and a adapter fitting from pepboys for another $7, to run to the proportioning valve. Just a little grinding and drilling on the master cylinder and everything bolted right up. Excellent mod for under $30.
throttlejocky316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 102207
Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlejocky316 View Post
I just did the e350 swap on my 87 wrangler. I got the master cylinder from napa for $22. I then got 2 12" hard lines and a adapter fitting from pepboys for another $7, to run to the proportioning valve. Just a little grinding and drilling on the master cylinder and everything bolted right up. Excellent mod for under $30.
very similar mod I did on mine, except I used the corvette. I have a cj7 but had previously done the yj master/booster swap. I have the same booster as you. Picked up the corvette master at orielleys for $30 or something like that. It did require a fair bit of grinding on the master and the expanding of the two mounting holes but once that was done I tuned it in with a willwood proportioning valve and it has been great. Axles are a front d-44 and rear 609.
85cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rat Bastard

Member # 121913
I've been tore on going with the E350 or the Corvette MC...seems guys are having good luck with both. I was leaning towards the corvette one since it is made for front and rear discs, I think most of the E350's came with drum if I'm not mistaken. I'm running front and rear 60's with disc brakes. The rig stops ok, but the pedal feels a little soft and goes almost to the tub before it stops. Nothing new, the same symptoms you have heard a million times on here. The plan as of right now (which is subject to change with little to no notice) is to use the MC from a 69 vette with the 350 and find a decent adjustable proportioning valve. I figure that should get my braking woes fixed and then I can move onto my next project...figuring out an ebrake. I'm considering a driveline brake, but that's different research for a different thread.

Back2Basic Offroad
Old 10-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11141
I have a 95 YJ that originally came with a 2.5l. I swapped in a 95 4.0 dual diaphram booster. You can swap in a TJ 4.0 booster if you want to cut/reweld the pushrod. I also swapped in a Dodge 1500 master cylinder. Brakes are now awesome.

RcRocs 4.3 Toyota Jeep
Moon Buggy Racer on 40s
www.marylandcreepers.com
www.rightcoast4x4.com
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 161361
Check out partsmike.com

I used their dual diaphragm booster on my CJ7. Call them first they are very helpful. Now the brakes are a huge improvement than with the stock booster. I went from a 5spd manual 4.2L I6 to a 350 V8 with automatic and couldn't hardly keep the jeep from lunging forward at a stop. Now, no problem.
CJ7ROCKCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rat Bastard

Member # 121913
Am I going to need to go to a dual diaghram one? I was under the impression the master cylinder/prop valve combo would upgrade what needs to be upgraded.

Back2Basic Offroad
Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 139376
I am fighting the brakes issue. I went to the 5.3L and bought a new stock master cylinder and vacuum assist. And the brakes hold but they are not what I want. I am looking at the E350 master cylinder and vacuum assist. Does it make that much of a difference? If so I will be putting it in this week end. Thanks for the feed back
Djbjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rat Bastard

Member # 121913
From all my reading it really depends on your axle setup. It has to do with the bore and stroke of the MC...with stock axles and brakes the e350 or vette cylinders push too much fluid and actually make braking worse...has to do with fluid dynamics. It is supposedly Kung foo with larger setups. I'm getting home in 2 weeks and gonna be doing the swap, so I can tell you more then...for now I'm just going off of HOURS of thread digging and reading. Around here, with that much information, it might as well be gospel.

Back2Basic Offroad
Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rat Bastard

Member # 121913
Here are a few decent threads I've looked through....there are about 70 billion other ones, so search around and you'll find whatever your heart desires.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...aster+cylinder

/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/239758-e350-mc-yj-done.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=238377

http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/Topic657042.aspx

Back2Basic Offroad
Old 10-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 88108
I believe the dual booster was only used on the '95 4.0, but I've learned to never say never with Jeeps, could be they got installed in some of the 4 cyls also. But I've only seen them in the 4.0's.

I've got a '95 YJ dual booster with master cylinder and proportioning valve I'm getting ready to list on eBay. Also have the matching pedal assembly, and the hydraulic clutch master and slave, was going to use it all in a CJ project but sold the project. Anyone interested in any or all of it can PM me an offer and save me the trouble of listing these things on eBay.
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
I break things

Member # 64213
Single booster.

You can upgrade it with several different styles and get a lot better brakes.
89breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 124887
Before I made the change to the e350 cylinder I had a grand marquis cylinder installed. Now you are probably wondering why I would make the change if I already had an upgrade over stock, let me try to explain my rational.

The grand marquis cylinder with the the stock proportioning valve with the o-ring installed has alright stopping power. All the power was on the front brakes and it took a lot of pedal pressure to make it stop hard. So did some research on here and decided to remove the o-ring from the proportioning valve. Now the pedal feel was better and it didn't require so much pedal pressure to stop quicker during normal driving. The only problem I had was during emergency braking the rear tires would lock up and causing a skid. I was afraid that during trail usage it might get me into trouble.

Now I have the e350 with the proportioning valve o-ring removed. The brakes feel as strong as the grand marquis cylinder but without the dreaded rear brake lock up. The only dislike I have now is the brake pedal engages at a lower spot. I have thought about adjusting the brake rod but after i push the brakes once and release them the pedal will start to engage at the top again.

I am going to find a vacuum accumulator and install it next, hopefully it will help with the pedal feel. I don't feel that there is anything wrong with the brakes engaging so close to the floor but it is just something annoying to me. I have been told this issue is due to the way the I6 vs. V8 make vacuum.
throttlejocky316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 121614
Convert to hydroboost, no vacuum, no problem. Kind of a pain in the ass to install, but worth it.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 24895
i could tell you my setup and how great my brakes are but everything is relative and a lot of "stories" are told over the net. Call Van from Vanco brakes (sn is Vanco on this site), tell him your setup, and he'll give you the advice and exact setup you need.
FYI...any dual diaphram booster that is made for a YJ from any vendor or online store is not significantly different than the one you can buy from rockauto.com or advanceautoparts.com for fraction of the price.
b0mb is offline   Reply With Quote