YJ with Xj's up front and a couple questions.. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 153116
YJ with Xj's up front and a couple questions..

ok so i laid in the dirt at the junkyard and got myself 4 Xj rear springs for the front of my YJ... i've done some reseach and know that i need to use 2 main leafs.. 1 redrilled so the bigger eye mil wraps the smaller eye..

heres where my the confusion starts.. i'm also going to reverse my shackles in the process of swaping in these springs.. so.. i know they have to hang from the front bumper (which i'm building a new bumper from 2X4 .125 wall box) what do i use for the shackle hanger in the rear? i was wondering if i could use the extra spring eye i trimmed off the second main leaf and use that as a shackle hanger welded to the frame. a buddy of mine says he not sure that you can get a good strong weld on spring steel for some reason.. but it would just be the eye and maybe an inch or 2 of material.. i want to say i've seen this done before with an extra spring eye as a shackle hanger.. if all else fails i could just reuse the factory shackle hanger fron the front and weld it up in the back of the spring i guess.. that may actually be easier anyway... any input?

Last edited by 370; 10-07-2010 at 12:49 PM.
370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 153116
oh one more thing.. my plan is to bolt the rear of the spring into the fixed hanger for figureing where the bumper hung mounts need to be.. then after thats built removing the fixed loaction from the frame and installign a shackle hanger there.. that about the way it's to be done? or does somebody else have a better way of doin it?
370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links