Yet another 8.8 swap thread - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 170572
Question Yet another 8.8 swap thread

Ok. So I was talked into upgrading to an 8.8 exploder rear for my 89 YJ instead of rebuilding my D35.

I will be picking up my 8.8 from salvage yard today. It's a 2000 explorer 8.8 with 4.10 gears and limited slip...as was recommended.

I am planning on ordering this kit to install it:

http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/catalo...ducts_id=11555

any feedback on the kit? It looks like everything I need.

I think I have been talked out of SOA conversion.....I don't really need anymore lift anyway...but I'm a little worried I will lose a little bit with my SUA on the thicker 8.8. I have seen some jeeps with longer leaf spring frame mounts, thinking of doing this front and back...maybe an 1" longer. Is this advisable? I broke one of mine anyway so I am at minimum going to fab up some stronger ones for front and rear.

There is an option on the 8.8 install kit to get U bolt reversal...it's only 35$ more and makes since to do? right?

They mention getting some parts from hardware store to hook up e brake cable, anyone have pics or specifics on what I need?

And last but not least, I also saw you can get longer travel shock mount brackets. Now this looks like something I can fab up pretty easy...but is it necessary? Will I see a benefit? I am thinking of replacing my shocks anyway while I got the jeep torn apart. Recomendations on shocks?

Thanks a bunch, what a great help you guys have been. I can't wait to get my jeep back on the road! Almost time to play in the snow!!!
BLUR2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 96466
I have an 8.8 with
4.56's
ARB locker
SOA & SUA perches
setup for a YJ

I'll sale for $1000
Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 65984
i recently completed this same swap, for spring perches, i ground the one off the 8.8 and rewelded them in the correct spot.

i had to buy all new brakes besides the rotors, but i think the new soft lines from AZ were something like $15-20 each.

new ubolts locally were $7 each with washers and nuts.

for a diff cover i like dan at ruffstuff specialties, a vendor here with amazing products and the absolute best customer service. order from his site and mention pirate for a 10% discount making the cover price $108. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...ver-p-180.html

i cant remember where i bought the new flange (~$50) but my 95 yj has a larger rear ujoint so i had to buy a conversion joint too which was a surprise for me.

i found that my stock spring plates actually fit the larger ubolts, a bit tight, but i squeezed them in.

that puts the total around $230. saves about $30 give or take, plus buying a few things local saves some shipping, and its always good to spend some cash locally anyway. its only a bit more for the kit, which looks fine, its not a huge price difference, and if its easier for you to get it all in one box...just sayin'

as far as the ebrake bit, $10 will do ya, i saw this guys writeup and did the same thing. worked for me. ebrake part is about 3/4 down the page. i liked his writeup, easy to follow, pics are nice and clear. http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

i kept my yj sua with a 2.5" RE kit and dont notice a difference in height front to rear, i suppose it probably is, but not enough to notice. plus i highlined my front fenders. no pics of the axle, but heres one of the jeep.

Ron: Yeah, when I think he got killed and left that big mountain of coke sittin' there... I mean, it breaks your heart!
Gus310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 170572
Jaysin,

No thanks, appreciate the offer but I am trying to keep from changing my gears in the front for now. I eventually want to go much higher and put a locker in, but right now I don't have the budget for it.

Gus,

Thanks, I will check the link out. I really like that rear diff cover at ruffstuff, but i also like the idea of getting everything I need at once. I will be pondering all this today before I decide on what to order.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 85146
I used the ruffstuff kit and ground the perches down when I installed my 8.8 sua.

Quote:
i cant remember where i bought the new flange (~$50) but my 95 yj has a larger rear ujoint so i had to buy a conversion joint too which was a surprise for me.
You could have just bought the right yoke for the bigger joint. It's a 1330 series the ford dealer usually has them I paid $30 for mine.
ssyj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 87845
Solid Axle diff covers are $65 and as beefy as anything else on the market now.

love my 8.8. Ive beat the shit out of it with 36" iroks and had no problems.
y2knole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 170572
OK, so I ordered the kit from knowwhere2jeep. I will let you guys know how it works out. I emailed and called ruffstuff to ask them questions about theirs, but got no repsonse. So I just went with the kit that I knew had everything I needed. (or should I say everything I THINK I need lol )