YJ D30 Question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 79415
YJ D30 Question

I just did a search to find the size of the axle shaft on the passenger side (2 piece disconect). I would like to seal the ends and have been looking at these EAS3-05 Houseing Tube: 2.00 I.D. tube Axle sizes/Splines: 1-3/16 thru 1-3/8/28 $28.33 http://www.sealsit.com/lowcostaxleseal.asp. I have emailed them but they want sizes and I don't have a place to tear down my akle at this point. Any help would be nice. Thanks
GR8WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Web wheeler

Member # 25303
The ones for the D30 are the right seal for your application, same seal I run in my disco HP30.

Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups and Swaps Thread
Builds, Swaps, Axles, Engines, Turbos, Diesels, Suspensions, Fab, and more!
gtxracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 81423
Can I run these as full diff seals at the pumpkin, or are should they only be used like the tube seals that are placed at the end of the tube?

I'm wondering if these will actually hold diff fluid - I can't seem to get my passenger side axle seal (Napa 11800) to stop leaking with my solid axle swap on my HP30 disco housing
Contgious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Web wheeler

Member # 25303
These do NOT go on the outside, they are INNER diff seals and yes they hold diff fluid just fine. I have about 6 weekend wheeling trips on mine including driving to the trail equaling about a year since the install and it's still holding like a champ.

These are not cheap, thin, easily bendable seals. They don't have any metal to metal contact involved in the axle seal yet actually have TWO seals in one. They slide into the axle tube with silicone after you clean the tube a little bit.

Napa 11800 and all the other seal part numbers is what I tried before going this route. Trust me, it's a 2 minute install without a press or some goofy way of pounding it in. You clean the axle tube, put on some black high temp RTV and slide it in. Let it set and install the 1 piece axles and GO.

Last edited by gtxracer; 11-04-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 55805
You have to put an inner seal from a TJ in. The seal that is at the diff behind the bearing race.

National seal 470160

or

NAPA 11800 seal

Can't seal the very outside of the tube. You can get these....but they are designed to keep crap out of the tube, not keep oil in.

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Web wheeler

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws View Post
You have to put an inner seal from a TJ in. The seal that is at the diff behind the bearing race.

National seal 470160

or

NAPA 11800 seal
Let me be clear - those seals do NOT work in every application of the disco HP30!

I've tried 20 different seals ranging from those two part numbers from Napa and National AND the entire Randy's Ring and Pinion kit. Every single one of those seals did NOT fit, was too weak, or was the wrong application.

Save yourself the headache and buy the SealsIt. Like I said, 100x easier and a 100x better seal.

The superior outer seals and nice and well worth it but I go through swampy slushy crap and don't have a problem.

Last edited by gtxracer; 11-04-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 55805
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Let me be clear - those seals do NOT work in every application of the disco HP30!

I've tried 20 different seals ranging from those two part numbers from Napa and National AND the entire Randy's Ring and Pinion kit. Every single one of those seals did NOT fit, was too weak, or was the wrong application.
Too weak? There isn't any pressure on the seal. How can it be too weak?

If you don't have a smooth place on the axle for the seal to ride on then no seal is ever going to work.

The NAPA part number has worked for us on every one that we have done, both YJ and XJ....has to be a couple dozen over the years.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 81423
I've run the gambit of different seals to get keep my diff fluid in... Even the 11800 has failed me - twice! Can't seem to get a good seal and I'm ready to try something different.

I just ordered the Seals-It EAS3-05. After talking to their tech guy on their support line, I think this is the way to go. Should be an easy install and I'm hoping it will solve my headaches over the last several months!

Thanks for the 411 gtxracer...
Contgious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Web wheeler

Member # 25303
Quote:
Too weak? There isn't any pressure on the seal. How can it be too weak?

If you don't have a smooth place on the axle for the seal to ride on then no seal is ever going to work.

The NAPA part number has worked for us on every one that we have done, both YJ and XJ....has to be a couple dozen over the years.
That may be true in your case, but I'm telling you I spent over 2 weeks trying to get the right seal. I destroyed 3 of the 11800s just trying to get them to press and fit properly. Same goes for the 3 seals in the Randy's kit, which is top notch and so is their support, but it just wasn't the right seals. Not only that, but it's a pain in the ass if you have to replace one. The SealsIt seal slides into place with silicone - no press or special tool needed. A 7 year old could install it....seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contgious View Post
I've run the gambit of different seals to get keep my diff fluid in... Even the 11800 has failed me - twice! Can't seem to get a good seal and I'm ready to try something different.

I just ordered the Seals-It EAS3-05. After talking to their tech guy on their support line, I think this is the way to go. Should be an easy install and I'm hoping it will solve my headaches over the last several months!

Thanks for the 411 gtxracer...
No problem, it's good to see more people using them.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 59753
I also have changed the seals in my D-30 with napa seals with no problems.
I still have the two piece shaft. i made a tool out of 1/2" threaded rod and some washers i picked up at work. to get the seals started before driving them in with the correct size socket.

I also have those outter axle tube seal assemblies.
Now before some non-rig owning cockholster talking shit says they will not fit a YJ with a 2 piece axle. They will if you have a person known as a machinist, make the inside diameter larger.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 55805
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred w. View Post
now before some non-rig owning cockholster talking shit says they will not fit a yj with a 2 piece axle. They will if you have a person known as a machinist, make the inside diameter larger.
lol
Old 11-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 55805
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
That may be true in your case, but I'm telling you I spent over 2 weeks trying to get the right seal. I destroyed 3 of the 11800s just trying to get them to press and fit properly. Same goes for the 3 seals in the Randy's kit, which is top notch and so is their support, but it just wasn't the right seals. Not only that, but it's a pain in the ass if you have to replace one. The SealsIt seal slides into place with silicone - no press or special tool needed. A 7 year old could install it....seriously.
You putting the seal in the right location? Are you driving it in through the driver's side axle tube or trying to get it in there from inside the diff? Maybe you have some bastard axle. I put them in with the threaded rod thing also like posted above.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Web wheeler

Member # 25303
Quote:
You putting the seal in the right location? Are you driving it in through the driver's side axle tube or trying to get it in there from inside the diff? Maybe you have some bastard axle. I put them in with the threaded rod thing also like posted above.
Tried all of the above.

The threaded rod tool came closest to working. Going through the driver's side proved to be worthless, even with someone holding the seal perfectly in place.

I might have some weird housing, mine is a disco XJ unit, I believe 87 year. I'd rather have a regular non disco HP30 housing but this one was free and had the 4.10s in it already. Either way, that SealsIt unit is

Old 11-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 59753
Quote:
lol
Well I know they are not made for the YJ. BUT I wanted them and had the right side cut out. Russle did not even have to take the seals out to do it.
I've had them for almost 4 years now. Before I had sticks and all sorts of shit in the tubes.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 133776
i know this is old as dirt but when researching this thread always comes up... my dana 30 is from a 88 or 89 cherokee with disco and 4.10's... this 11800 seal part number does NOT work... to small of outside diameter and just falls all the way in... hardly any resistance at all...
Old 12-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3511
When I did my YJ I bought one of these kits:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/yg...FSVgMgodiTcA6g

It had 3 seals in it and one of them fit

Here is some info from an old post I had about this:

3 Seals, blockoff plate and a cork gasket.

Seal 1 - standard drivers side seal
Seal 2 - National 40576S - which is almost everyone elses part number 11771
Seal 3 - Only number I can find on it is on the rubber E2292, made by TTO Doesn't cross ref to anything I can find.

For my 94 YJ this is the seal that fit properly.
Seal 2 - National 40576S - which is almost everyone elses part number 11771

Last edited by oldjeep; 12-11-2013 at 11:41 AM.
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 312354
In mine, I have the inner factory type seals and behind those I have the sealsit universal axle tube seals and another set of them at the ends of the tubes. I spend a lot of time with the axles submerged in water and have never had water get into the housing after doing this.
ironmangq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 133776
We broke out the National seals book and looked at sizes and numbers... i used the Yukon kit as well but the seal went bad when i blew the caps off a joint and drove it that way for a bit... long story lol...

anyways the other seal part number that is for the LARGER ID tube is 471354 1.187 x 2.062 x .250 and Oreillys had it to me in a couple hours... Yukon wouldnt give it to me and wanted me to order it from them... not to happy about that... caused me another day down but i get why they wouldnt i guess... hope this helps the next guy...

also to anyone doing this in the future use a ZJ shaft... its larger except for where it necks down to the locker but the joint side is much more beefy as well... i used a ABS cherokee with 297's the first time... should have used ZJ shafts which are all 297's... just gotta knock out that bearing by the metal plate for the disco crap in order to get the larger shaft in...