YJ rear drive shaft length - auto tranny - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 83255
YJ rear drive shaft length - auto tranny

Hello,

I am building the following Jeep
89 YJ
Chevy 350
Turbo 350
Dana 300 Transfer Case

Has anybody built this set up before? What is the length of your drive shaft? Do you have issues with the short length?
imaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Find out how long a 350/dana300 is and do some measuring on your Jeep. If your driveshaft is shorter than you want, you can move the engine/trans/t-case forward closer to the radiator. The good thing about a chevy small block is that it's a bit shorter than the Jeep 6 so you can fudge it forward for some more driveshaft length.
Travis..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 83255
Well this is my first build. I bought the YJ with no motor/trans, etc. so I don't know what the length of the original drivetrain was.

I will also be putting a Ford 9" in the rear too so that will negatively affect the driveshaft angle too. How much of an angle can I put on the 9" to improve the driveshaft angle?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 83255
Anybody else? I know i'm not the first guy to do this setup on a build...
Old 02-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Unleash the me.

Member # 113176
You're gonna have to figure out your own driveshaft length. There's too many variables.

I do, however, recommend running an electric fan and pushing your motormounts as far forward as you can without there being interference.

My driveshaft (with a SBC/350/231) is fucking tiny, and that's with 5" of rear stretch. I plan to move the drivetrain forward a good 4 or 5 inches.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say that there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
LucasFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 175955
Just get your axle and drivetrain roughed in and measure it at ride height. Buy a driveshaft longer than you need and have it shortened, and balanced if its gonna get much road use.
gearheadmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121033
just did the swap SBC 4L60E atlas 4sp (new version) as far as your radiaor goes do you plan on electric fan or mech fan. if using a mech fan it's gotta go all the way against the fire wall. if your using a taurus fan you can fudge and 1" or so off the FW. just use a CV shaft in the rear and you can angle your 9" at what ever your angle is. if you need pics I can upload a few.
flatblack51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 83255
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack51 View Post
just did the swap SBC 4L60E atlas 4sp (new version) as far as your radiaor goes do you plan on electric fan or mech fan. if using a mech fan it's gotta go all the way against the fire wall. if your using a taurus fan you can fudge and 1" or so off the FW. just use a CV shaft in the rear and you can angle your 9" at what ever your angle is. if you need pics I can upload a few.
A few pics would be awesome if you wouldn't mind.

I'm going to be running an electric fan setup.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 85464
lucas fury is right, there too many variables to figure it out at this early stage. whan i measured for my driveshafts i had everything in place and welded in (just not the spring perches until you have the pinion angle right), then measure at the deepest points in the yokes. then take that measurement and call your driveshaft manufacturer.

for what it's worth i'm running an 87 yj with a 305sbc and electric fan, 700r4 trans, dana 20 t/c with adapter and an amc 20 rear. my rear shaft is fully collapsed about 24 inches (don't remember off the top of my head).
Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121033
it really doesn't make a difference what degree you clock your rear axle at if you use a CV style shaft. the motor to FW seperation is about 4.25" if I really paid attention I would put it at around 2". the reason I did it this way is because I already had the atlas installed with the old motor and didn't feel like messing with the drivelines and making a whole new skid for it.if you want something specific let me know. my coresupprort and fan aren't installed since i'm getting the brackets redone to countersink the rad into the core support to fit the taurus fan. install your motor trans and tcase completely first then measure your distances for the drive shafts. if you look at my rear shaft and see the seperation in the slip joint it's because I measured prior to having everything buttoned up for a true measurement. i'm tired of wrenching on this thing so I tend to rush alittle.
Attached Images

Last edited by flatblack51; 02-01-2011 at 03:26 PM.
flatblack51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 83255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh3733 View Post
lucas fury is right, there too many variables to figure it out at this early stage. whan i measured for my driveshafts i had everything in place and welded in (just not the spring perches until you have the pinion angle right), then measure at the deepest points in the yokes. then take that measurement and call your driveshaft manufacturer.

for what it's worth i'm running an 87 yj with a 305sbc and electric fan, 700r4 trans, dana 20 t/c with adapter and an amc 20 rear. my rear shaft is fully collapsed about 24 inches (don't remember off the top of my head).
Let me clarify. I'm not looking for people to tell me how long my driveshaft is going to be. I was wondering who has done a similar build to see how long THEIR driveshaft is so I know roughly what to expect. I know it's going to vary depending on my motor location. I am trying to plan ahead so I know how it will affect my pinion angle etc.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 83255
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatblack51 View Post
it really doesn't make a difference what degree you clock your rear axle at if you use a CV style shaft. the motor to FW seperation is about 4.25" if I really paid attention I would put it at around 2". the reason I did it this way is because I already had the atlas installed with the old motor and didn't feel like messing with the drivelines and making a whole new skid for it.if you want something specific let me know. my coresupprort and fan aren't installed since i'm getting the brackets redone to countersink the rad into the core support to fit the taurus fan. install your motor trans and tcase completely first then measure your distances for the drive shafts. if you look at my rear shaft and see the seperation in the slip joint it's because I measured prior to having everything buttoned up for a true measurement. i'm tired of wrenching on this thing so I tend to rush alittle.
Thanks for the pictures and the info.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaldini View Post
Let me clarify. I'm not looking for people to tell me how long my driveshaft is going to be. I was wondering who has done a similar build to see how long THEIR driveshaft is so I know roughly what to expect. I know it's going to vary depending on my motor location. I am trying to plan ahead so I know how it will affect my pinion angle etc.
Seems like a tape measure and 10 minutes would tell you everything you want to know.
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 83255
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Seems like a tape measure and 10 minutes would tell you everything you want to know.
I don't have my motor or trans or transfer case installed yet.

All i'm looking for is for anybody that has done this same setup in a YJ to tell me the length of their driveshaft. This is the original post:

What is the length of your drive shaft? Do you have issues with the short length?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaldini View Post
I don't have my motor or trans or transfer case installed yet.

All i'm looking for is for anybody that has done this same setup in a YJ to tell me the length of their driveshaft. This is the original post:

What is the length of your drive shaft? Do you have issues with the short length?
Too many variables for anyone to give you an answer that matters. How much lift, what axles, where are you placing the front of your motor. Stock wheelbase or extended. All nonsense until you break out the tape measure on your rig. You don't need to have anything installed, they are the same length sitting on the garage floor.
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 83255
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Too many variables for anyone to give you an answer that matters. How much lift, what axles, where are you placing the front of your motor. Stock wheelbase or extended. All nonsense until you break out the tape measure on your rig. You don't need to have anything installed, they are the same length sitting on the garage floor.
please READ my post before answering.

HAS ANYBODY DONE A BUILD WITH SBC 350, TH350, DANA 300 AND RUN A 9" IN THE REAR ON A YJ. IF SO, HOW LONG IS YOUR DRIVE SHAFT?

That's the only thing I'm looking for at this point.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
You might want to state that you're not looking to build a driveshaft that's the same length as anyone elses.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 83255
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
You might want to state that you're not looking to build a driveshaft that's the same length as anyone elses.
No I am not just going to copy somebody's length and make the same driveshaft. I just want to know what length to expect to make my own assumptions about whether i'm going to have issues, run a CV driveshaft etc.

come on people, the request for information isn't that difficult. How long is your driveshaft, period
Old 02-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Unleash the me.

Member # 113176
Mine's about 16 inches. But guess what.. My axle isn't the same as yours, and neither is my wheelbase, so it doesn't fucking matter at all.

You're a goddamn moron if you can't understand what everyone in this goddamn thread is trying to tell you. Goddamn.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say that there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
Old 02-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 83255
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasFury View Post
Mine's about 16 inches. But guess what.. My axle isn't the same as yours, and neither is my wheelbase, so it doesn't fucking matter at all.

You're a goddamn moron if you can't understand what everyone in this goddamn thread is trying to tell you. Goddamn.
hey LucasFury, go FOCK yourself. i didn't focking ask anybody to tell me what my drive shaft length should be. read the posts again you dislexic piece of shiot.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Unleash the me.

Member # 113176

So dumb.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109328
My driveshaft in my Ford Excursion is 55 1/2"

My driveshaft in my 1972 F250 is 39"

My cock is 11 inches.......AROUND (think about it)

However, all of this has absoultely no relevance to how your build is going to turn out and therefore useless information. People here are trying to explain to you that EVERY build is different and just because they run a 19 inch shaft etc. does NOT mean you will have that length shaft so what the hell does it matter? It's useless information that is not going to help you.
Ho Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Lots of reading comprehension problems here.

The OP is asking what the driveshaft length is of YJ owners with a certain drivetrain and if that length is causing any problems.

End of question.

He's not asking because he assumes his driveshaft length will be the same. He's not asking for other vehicles. He's not asking for those who have modified the wheelbase.

He's looking to see if the length he assumes is short, will cause problems.

Some of you guys giving him shit look like the dumbasses because you are reading way too much into the question.

I wish I had that driveline and could actually answer the questions that were asked.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 109328
I see the answers above. No reading comprehension problems at all. People have said previously that it depends on what combination he is going to run whether it's a standard u joint shaft or a CV shaft. If it's a CV shaft then no issues unless you are installing a monsterous lift............where's the continued questions?
Ho Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 83255
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Lots of reading comprehension problems here.

The OP is asking what the driveshaft length is of YJ owners with a certain drivetrain and if that length is causing any problems.

End of question.

He's not asking because he assumes his driveshaft length will be the same. He's not asking for other vehicles. He's not asking for those who have modified the wheelbase.

He's looking to see if the length he assumes is short, will cause problems.

Some of you guys giving him shit look like the dumbasses because you are reading way too much into the question.

I wish I had that driveline and could actually answer the questions that were asked.
CSP, you seem to be the only one with enough common sense to comprehend what I was asking for.

I was asking.....If you have a stock wheelbase YJ and you swapped in a SBC 350 TH350 and Dana 300 TC with a Ford 9" rear end, what was the length of your rear driveshaft without stretching the wheelbase out. I don't care about anything else.