Lower long arm relocation ?'s - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Lower long arm relocation ?'s

The problem: The rear lower long arm and shock mounts are below the axle tube and hang up on rocks and stuff that pass under the front axle with no problems.

So here is my question: With the rear setup in this picture (3link w trac-bar), would there be any negative affects on geometry or handling if I were to move the lower long arm mounts higher up on the rear axle tube?

I'm going to outboard the shocks to get rid of those hidious lower brackets and figure I'll move the lower arm mounts up while I'm there, but I'd like a few opinions before I go and cut everything off and screw it all up.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Web wheeler

Member # 25303
I'm no expert on geometry but I'll take a whack at it...

It would change the geometry. You can plug in the numbers to the 4 link calc but ultimately I think the Nth rear 3 link is a flawed design it itself and you wouldn't get accurate readings anyway. That's a separate issue, but if it were my rig, I'd go for a 4 link and scrap that ridiculous bracketry for the tried and true triangulated four link.

To answer your direct question: I would NOT change the location, although you are right in hacking off the boat anchor shock mounts. I would make the lower mounts slide easier on rocks and offer a little more protection for the joint at the end of the arm.

Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups and Swaps Thread
Builds, Swaps, Axles, Engines, Turbos, Diesels, Suspensions, Fab, and more!
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Trust me I'd like to get rid of the whole setup alng with the trac bar, in favor of a triangulated 4 link with stretch, and will be going that route when the funds allow, but for now I am just trying to improve what I have to work with.

Maybe I'll drill new mounting holes up a few inches in the stock brackets, and try it out. If it doesn't handle or work right I can always go back to the stock holes, plate the bottoms like you suggested, and call it a lesson learned.....lol

Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
that looks like a torque arm setup
move the lowers where ever you want
mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
that looks like a torque arm setup
move the lowers where ever you want
Yep its a torque arm, and thats what I was thinking. For the life of me I can't figure out how moving them up at the axle will negativly affect the suspension dynamics...I would think moving the mounting point at the front of the torque arm, or at the frame end of the lowers would be were all the geometry problems would come into play. No??? Its a mutt suspension...It has an Nth Degree TT and stinger kit used with a set of Skykacker RR frame brackets and rear lower long arms, and Rustys Y-Link arms in front...so I doubt any of the geometry is were it was meant to be in the first place...It actualy handles awesome on and offroad considering its peiced together.

Curiosity has gotten the best of me so I'm going to move the mounting holes up this weekend, try it out, then report back........

Last edited by SLOWPOKE693; 03-24-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Web wheeler

Member # 25303
Sounds like a good plan, let us know how it does

Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups and Swaps Thread
Builds, Swaps, Axles, Engines, Turbos, Diesels, Suspensions, Fab, and more!
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 80653
Per the instructions that came from Nth, they are supposed to be moved down in the front and up in the rear.
The kit (I installed one a long time ago) came with a small metal guide that helped you place the new bolt holes in the OEM brackets, lower in the front, and higher in the back. Then you can cut off the bottom 1/2 to 2/3rds of the axle brackets.
BenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 178200
BenE, thanks for the helpful info. I just checked out the AEV site and found this bit of info about my setup........

•Since the Stinger eliminates the upper arms, it allows the lowers to be raised on the axle because they no longer have to also resist axle windup. On TJ's, the arms can be moved up 1-5/8" at the axle by simply re-drilling the stock axle brackets. On long-arm rigs, these benefits add on top of the natural benefit of larger motion arcs to virtually eliminate the negative rear suspension geometry effects of 'lift'.

Last edited by SLOWPOKE693; 03-24-2011 at 08:40 PM.