HELP!!! 88 Cherokee Running Rough - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 186924
Question HELP!!! 88 Cherokee Running Rough

I have a 88 cherokee 6 cyl. 4.0. and it recently while driving it just stopped running. all the electrical componets stayed on but the motor just shut off and wouldnt start again. so i checked the fuel pump thinking it wasn't pushing fuel through and it was working fine i just replaced it a few months ago. so then i checked the relays. they were fine also. then randomly after a little prayer it started. but it was running rough. almost as not all cylinders were firing. i did a couple basic checks and it started to run smoothly. then i noticed a small fuel leak coming out of the fuel pressure regulator coming out on the fuel line part. just as a precaution last night i changed the oil and flushed the cooling. and it started running good. so today i replaced the pressure regulator and the o rings and once i did that no leak but it was running horribly acting like it was missing during idle and no power when stepping on the gas and it was wanting to stall out again during driving. so my question is where should i start next to solving the problem i got new spark plugs but it didnt seem to help the problem after putting them on. any suggestions on what else could be the problem and maybe how i can fix it.
khoppe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 161645
Angry

Wiggle the wires and relay going to the mission statement and maybe it will come out more clearly nugget
hcdistad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
ARcrawlers

Member # 27291
Send a message via Yahoo to kaker123
i would start simple, disconnect the battery for at least 5 minutes or so to reset the computer, clean the throttle body and TPS very well, if its got a cat then disconnect it and see if it runs better, if it does either gut it, delete it, or put in a high flow cat. check connections for the Crank and Cam positions sensors and coil

those are some simple things to check, get back with the results, but most importantly, its not tuesday and you should always SEARCH FIRST, this has been beaten like a dead horse