Track Bar failure-again - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Non Hardcore
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
MAsshole!

Member # 31078
Track Bar failure-again

New to Jeeps not to trucks and wondering if this is a common problem.

2005 LJ, street driven only. Had 19K when I bought it a year ago. A few months into it it developed death wobble. Put in a new track bar and a threw a steering stabilizer at it while I was there. Death wobble all gone, just like the Bronco.

Last week I notice the wobble coming back, now at 37K miles, so maybe 10-12K miles on new track bar. Today was the worst wobble I have had even compared to last year and compared to anything I ever felt in the Bronco.

A quick check finds the top of the track bar SHOT! TONS of play.

uh, why? is this a "Jeep thing?"
strokedbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 164001
Yes, it's a TJ thing. I normally order two rebuild kits just so I have a extra one. I would recommend a good adjustable/rebuild able track bar. A few of my friends rides are not as big as mine and they still cut off there brackets and added new ones just because they were sick of FN with it.GL
cagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
bearded lady

Member # 82435
Did you replace the track bar with a stock unit or did you upgrade? I had death wobble for a bit then went with an adjustable track bar and never looked back.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
MAsshole!

Member # 31078
I just put a stock one in, never thought it would be an issue again so soon
Old 04-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 110491
I had the same problem when I lifted my grand. Major death wobble. Swapped the stock track bar out with an adjustable JKS and haven't had a problem since. Probably have around 40k miles on it.
cmarjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 166763
X2 on what Rooney said. I've got a 2004 LJ that had DW and a aftermarket track bar cured the major part of the DW but I still get the shimmies depending on how my tires are doing
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 37184
Just a thought. On lifted coil sprung fronts, if the track bar is not moved up at the axle-end, the steep angle of the track bar may contribute to front-end instability, as well as rapid wearing of the upper stock track bar joint.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 83837
My brother replaced the track bar in his Grand Chero and it was ok for awhile and then got worse. The parts store track bars are JUNK.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 161770
chances are your steering TRE's are shot too and the stabilizer is masking it... check those before doing anything esle....

if they are fine:

I would go for an adjustable TB that uses a heim or flex joint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampas View Post
Not knowing that over 50,000 random 4-wheelers are viewing your wet coochielips; priceless.
climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 161826
check the axle mount and make sure the hole is not wallowed out. If the bolt has been loose, it may damage the mount.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 163675
I had DW with an aftermarket trackbar, and after replaced with a stock one dw came back shortly after. (low lift so no need for adjustable)

The bushing at the axle developed alot of play. I replaced it with a moog poly bushing and I havent had a problem in over 6 months.
rs4race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
MAsshole!

Member # 31078
thanks for the advice all.

I couldnt find an adustable TB for 0" lift so I ended up getting a NAPA lifetime warranty one. I really dont expect to lift it anytime soon so we'll hope this works better, if not at least its a free replacement this time.

I havent put the new one in yet but after checking the front end again the only thing I can see gone is the uppper ball/socket of the trac-bar so I'm hoping!!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Jeep View Post
Just a thought. On lifted coil sprung fronts, if the track bar is not moved up at the axle-end, the steep angle of the track bar may contribute to front-end instability, as well as rapid wearing of the upper stock track bar joint.
No.

Run Currie and be done with it.

Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
MAsshole!

Member # 31078
Ok I got my NAPA lifetime warranty track bar instead of the Vatozone one like last time. If I was going to lift it I would have went adjustable BUT now I have another problem.

Got it all installed, Steering wheel is off? too long or too short? quick measure finds it 3/4" longer than the vatozone one. I cant find the stock junk one to measure so I'm hoping y'all can help.

I get 31.25" from center of the bolt hole on the lower to the center of the grease fitting on the upper from the Vatozone one and 32" on the NAPA. I called napa, and number checked and that ok. They pulled another one from a box and got 32" too,

Anyone have a stock bar they can measure for me? or thoughts on the 3/4" of difference?
Old 04-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 161770
3/4 of an inch is not really all that much, your axle will be slightly off center from where it was before, but who says that the vatozone TB centered it properly. and it doesn't matter that much since the TB will move the axle from side to side as the suspension cycles.

just adjust your steering wheel back to center with the adjustment sleeve on the drag link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampas View Post
Not knowing that over 50,000 random 4-wheelers are viewing your wet coochielips; priceless.
climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Gonna do my best to avoid an argument on this one. But a few things you really need to read and take to heart....

1- Disregard most of the information in this thread. Theres some scary shit being suggested here.

2- Your steering stabilizer is masking problems that you didn't fix the first time around. I'm gonna say possibly and egged out track bar hole on the frame side that the steering stabilizer masked the first time and then progressively got worse to the point where even the stabilizer doesn't stop it now.

3- You definetly have worn out parts in your front end. Check everything from control arm bushings to track bars.

4- As for the track bar, not sure what to tell you. It's Vatozone and I don't have a TJ anymore or Id run out to the garage and take a measurement for you. I'm sure somebody here will help you out though.
[QUOTE=Dieselmh]I'll cave his fucking head in with a shovel, just to show him that just because he has opposable thumbs, that doesn't put him on the same badassedness level as humans. Stupid arrogant possums. :shaking:[/QUOTE]
The Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 124275
If you want to never have this issue again, order up the Currie 9120TJJ track bar. It replaces the TRE @ the frame end with a large JJ that uses a 5/8" through-bolt. It repalces the small axle bolt with a 1/2" bolt. They won't loosen up or wear out and your steering will feel tighter than it ever has.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
MAsshole!

Member # 31078
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Sheep View Post
Gonna do my best to avoid an argument on this one. But a few things you really need to read and take to heart....

1- Disregard most of the information in this thread. Theres some scary shit being suggested here.

2- Your steering stabilizer is masking problems that you didn't fix the first time around. I'm gonna say possibly and egged out track bar hole on the frame side that the steering stabilizer masked the first time and then progressively got worse to the point where even the stabilizer doesn't stop it now.

3- You definetly have worn out parts in your front end. Check everything from control arm bushings to track bars.

4- As for the track bar, not sure what to tell you. It's Vatozone and I don't have a TJ anymore or Id run out to the garage and take a measurement for you. I'm sure somebody here will help you out though.
I appreciate the response. The upper ball socket to the track bar is definitely shot, you could watch it move up and down 1/8" or so. Its worse than the one I replaced before.

I will check the hole when I put the new-new track bar in, thanks.

Problem with the last new track bar? Wrong part in the right box! A Moog part was in the box, it shouldnt have been. The size difference was a larger bushing end and a larger ball socket end. Too bad it was too long the ends looked more durable!