Pirate 4x4 banner

99 xj electrical issues help!

726 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  zuki_06 
#1 · (Edited)
i have a 99 xj sport with the 4.0l and an auto trans, 4.5 in, 31's, stock axles and so on nothing spectacular just a solid dd / weekend wheeler.

sooo heres my prolem, a few days ago i noticed my sterieo started pickin up alot of interference, wich was annoying but i ignored it, next it started intermitantly hesitaing upon acceleration and as it does this the speedo will peg out at 100 then drop back down to however fast im going, i also have a check engine light on, and my alternator is acting up im not sure if any of these things are related. im just worried that maybe my PCM might be takin a shit. i do have plans to hook it to a scan tool soon and check codes soon i just havnt had time to do it yet. has any one had / heard of these symtoms and how to fix them?

#2 · (Edited)
First thing first, find some time to check the codes, let us know what you find.

If they are all related then I would start by checking all your ground connections. Especially on the battery side, since you're having issues with both engine mounted components and body mounted components. Don't forget a thin film of oil can cause a bad connection even when you can't see it.

If your radio is acting up then I would not guess your PCM, they're not exactly connected to each other.

#4 ·
Ok so the check engine light has turned off by it's self, so it's not a hard code, wich means that it hasn't happened for a few start-ups, and it's no longer stored in the computer because i reset the PCM. Unfourtnatly I havnt been able to replicate the condition yet, and as for the electrical interference with the radio I figured that out, but I am still still stumped on the hesitation, it only occurs at light throttle at say about 10- 20 mph and the gauges are still goin crazy, i have checked the cluster connector and it still does it :mad3:

#5 ·
I would def check Grounds! In every car I've ever owned 9 out of 10 times I had any noise no matter if it was radio or noise in ignition signal or sensor signals it was all ground related. Now I'm pretty sure I have a ground issue in my 98 XJ I guess sometimes when I turn Left both my turn signals in the rear light up. They don't light up on my dash tho and I can hear noise in the radio consistent with the turn signal pulse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.