Pirate 4x4 banner

1979 F-150 Camper Special Front HP 44

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Slangy 
#1 · (Edited)
I was talking to my father-in-law about wanting to find a 78-79 F350 with the HP Dana 60. He tells me that he has one out on his brothers property I can have but he tells me it is a F-250 Camper special. Right on, the camper special should have the 60 that I was wanting. As soon as I arrive I see that the hubs are not the given 4" size and it only has 5 lugs:(. Unfortunately it only has the HP Dana 44. Figures since I don't have good luck, but I was wondering if this front end is any good. What is the max size tire I would be safe running with this front end. I am just trying to figure out if it would be worth my time to throw this under my TJ. I know the knuckles on these are not much to be proud of and I would be better off swapping over the stronger chevy knuckles for Hi-Steer.Right now I have 35" MTR Kevlars and a 5.2L V8. I am just curious on everyones thought about this 44.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
the built hp44 vs hp60 is an argument that will never end.

biggest argument that you will get is the following

pro:
more clearance then a 60

con:
same ujoint as a d30

in reality, if its free and you dont mind throwing money at it (RCVs) you could relocate the week link to the ball joints with a 37" or so tire.

#3 ·
con:
same ujoint as a d30

in reality, if its free and you dont mind throwing money at it (RCVs) you could relocate the week link to the ball joints with a 37" or so tire.
Forget that, I will just hold out until I can find something worth throwing my money at. Might as well do it right the first time instead of building a 44 I really don't want:shaking: and then in the future building the 60 I really want.

Thanks

#4 ·
If you ever head to ca, load that up and ill have cash in hand. I am running that axle with chevy outers on my sas'ed chevy with zero problems. Has had 39"s and been wheeled enough, most just dont understand mechanical limits. This is a personal preference kinda question and no matter how strong or reliable I or the next guy say it is, some usually unskilled lead foot will say just the opposite and anything larger than a 33" will cause the axle to blow up that second.
I couldnt really see swapping a 60 with 35"s being the greatest option. That fucker is heavy and hangs very low, causing the need for larger tires. I ran the 30 in my jeep for years with 35"s with no issues, went to the 60 when I wanted 42"s.

#5 · (Edited)
I don't see myself heading that way but if you are ever coming this way let me know and I can pull it out and put it aside if you think you may come through this way.
That is kind of where I am at with my Jeep, I have a Dana 30 and have had 35s for a few years and have been way to lucky with it not breraking yet, I am wanting to upgrade to a larger tire in the 40 inch range. decisions decisions

#6 ·
In the mean time, you can strengthen your D30 with upper side truss and bracket/inner C's gussets. This will also help you sell it faster when you do install the D60.

However, like it was suggested, that D44 is substantially stronger than the stock D30. The tubes are 1/2" wall, 3.5" diameter, brakes are huge, separate hub/lockouts, flat driver's side knuckle, full width, and all steel tubes with no cast. Its all upgrade compared to the D30. Yes, you use the same ujoint, but still shafts are bigger all the way through, r&p bigger, housing bigger, bearings bigger and its a 'wanted' axle by many.

Have you been breaking anything on the D30? Have your friends? I've been wheeling a pretty much stock 4cyl/auto TJ (d30/8.8) on 35s for 6 yrs. Use 4.88 and lunchbox lockers and finally crippled the front r&p. Broke several joints taking the yoke with it, but that's my fault for non-maintenance. Replaced it with a D30R (high pinion) from an XJ. Everything bolted over.
If you still plan to go D60, might as well start looking into a custom axle, using the high strength components of the aftermarket. It will be cheaper in the long run compared to a stock D60 in the front of your TJ. 35s are training wheels with a D60. You won't be able to do a lot of typical crawling in the rocks and trails. The D60 will act as the '14B'.

Decisions are all relative to experience, funds, and timing.

Good luck.

#7 · (Edited)
35s are training wheels with a D60. You won't be able to do a lot of typical crawling in the rocks and trails. The D60 will act as the '14B'.
Good luck.
Yeah I won't be running 35's if I get a 60. I am wanting to go upwards of 40" but not sure how the HP 44 would hold up? I am fairly gentle on the skinny pedal, not one to mash it to the floor and tear shit up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.