Pirate 4x4 banner

Lifter removal

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Rooney77 
#1 · (Edited)
On my 1980 cj5 I've got an annoying as hell lifter tick in the I6. I've tried heavy weight oil, lucas treatment and a new oil pump and nothing has worked. The motor has been rebuilt but I'm betting it wasn't the best job. I've been reading on how to replace the lifters and it seems that some say you can pull them with the head on and some say you have to remove the head. Does anyone know for sure if it can be done without pulling the head? By the way I haven't pulled the valve cover yet either, just trying to map out a solution before I break out the tools.

Edit: I'm open to any and all suggestions for a cure for the tick. Motor runs great just sounds like shit. How can I verify it's a lifter and not something else?

#2 ·
Frist off you cannot get to the lifters with out pulling the head second of all you should change the cam an lifters together.I grew up in the family business a automotive machine shop an i can tell you a little fact the lifters in all my 258 click when frist fired up.I rebuilt that engine thinking there was a problem an new cam lifter an all vavle terrian it still rattled when fired up!

#3 ·
I wish mine only ticked at start up. Does it all the time. That sucks that I gotta do a cam at the same time. Dammit this valve tick is about to drive me crazy.

#8 ·
I haven't had time to pull the valve cover yet even. Going wheeling this weekend so I probably won't get to it till next week. This week is already packed for me.

#10 · (Edited)
Even if you deck the shit out of it, that would just give more lifter preload and less inclination to tick. Something is up, just pull the valve cover and see. Does it sound like just one or two, or does the whole thing sound clattery? Maybe you just have a soft lifter. I wouldn't think twice about installing new lifters on the existing cam, just do the break-in like you would with a new cam/lifter set. That is, if you don't find one that is ruined on the bottom. In that case, new cam it is.
Travis..

#11 ·
I'll pull the valve cover when I get back from my trip. I'll update what I find, if anything. Hopefully it's something simple. Oh and it sounds like it's the cylinder closest to the firewall. Maybe that and the one on front of it. But certainly not more than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.