Pirate 4x4 banner

another basic YJ build

21K views 69 replies 26 participants last post by  mfreitas254 
#1 ·
I picked up this 92 YJ from a fellow club member to replace my beat XJ. Got the basics right now just updating it a little keeping it a nice simple mild wheeler (blues and blacks at Rausch Creek.) Going to be a learning process for me I'll eventually step up and get tons under it.

Basics
1992 YJ 2.5L, AX 5, NP231 with an AA SYE kit
Dana 30 superior axles, lock right, BDS rock guard and 4:10s
Ford 8.8 with Trac Lock welded, Solid diff cover and 4:10
JCR 1 ton UTK steering
5in BDS springs with 1 1/4 warrior shackles
Wheel base stretched to 96inchs or so
Longer travel shocks with custom rear shock mounts
Warn rock rails, front and rear bumpers
15x10 Pacer wheels with 33 13.5 Pitbull rockers
170att power master alternator
Zenon extended TJ style fenders
and some offroad lights

I've got a set of stock height booms coming so I lower it down a little and a set of metal cloak fenders to replace the gay TJ flairs and bent up stock ones.

See less See more
#6 ·
Took it wheeling last weekend at RC did well until we found that the frame had started to crack where the steering box bracket mounts photo of the damage soon. It road a lot better on the booms than the monster extended shackles it was on. After I get the parts together to fix the front frame section going to get a blue torch front cage kit for it.

pic

#11 ·
Just my .02 on the front bumper. PUT ONE ON.
If you happen to whack that tube in your frame, it will royally screw up your outing.

Just saying. If you have the stock bumper, cut off all but 3" on each side of the frame, back it with 1/4" plate, run some bolts through 3" angle iron and make shackle mounts.

#18 ·
Well talked to metal cloak and the corners should be shipping monday i will make sure to take a bunch of photos. if any one wants to see something during the install of them let me know in a PM.

Also did a little more prep for them today by pulling off the old diamond plate corners. after the corners its time for some fab work I want the spare off the bumper.

#26 ·
finally got around to doing the MetalCloak stretch corners this weekend

before

got them prepped and painted

after a quick test fit marked out the body where i needed to cut

then took the cut off wheel to it

all bolted on and painted

next step was cutting the sliders to fit

#28 · (Edited)
Congrats on the first set of Cloak's. I had talked to Matson some time back wanting some for mine. I am running the BDS 4.5" lift kit and 33's on mine. With the Cloak system, do you think you could clear 37's, or 35's going to be the max with our similar lift set ups? Last, does the rear stretch leave the front edge of the wheel opening at stock ONLY moving the rear portion to be cut out? I can't loose any clearance on the front side, but I am beating the hell out of my rear portion.

#31 · (Edited)
Congrats on the first set of Cloak's. I had talked to Matson some time back wanting some for mine. I am running the BDS 4.5" lift kit and 33's on mine. With the Cloak system, do you think you could clear 37's, or 35's going to be the max with our similar lift set ups? Last, does the rear stretch leave the front edge of the wheel opening at stock ONLY moving the rear portion to be cut out? I can't loose any clearance on the front side, but I am beating the hell out of my rear portion.
in the rear i cut about 4 inches at the bottom of the wheel well in the front just a minor cut so you dont lose any room up there vs stock

#29 ·
Looking good bud, The fenders really brought it together really nice!!

My xj is getting bigger slowly, but i deploy in late jan, after then im thinking clayton longarms, maybe if theres a local trailride before i leave we can both get to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.