Pirate 4x4 banner

Running fairly rich

838 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  smogman 
#1 ·
Everyone has told me to get my Jeep checked out because it smells really rich.

So what do I check for? I know there is a vacuum switch that seems to be missing its vacuum connection, and one of the vacuum lines is broken off of the charcoal canister. Also there are a few other connectors that just seem to be hanging around, but no clue where they go..

I would really like to get this thing running like a champ before I even make an attempt to take it down to get it smoged, because I'd rather not lose $50 some odd bucks just to find out it was a simple connection that needed to be fixed.

Also, don't know if this is a direct issue with connectors or vacuum lines, but once the engine has warmed up, it idles at about 1200-1300 rpm and won't go any lower than that. I did take the TBI and cleaned it out thoroughly just a couple weeks ago, and it seemed to help, at first, but now it's back to the same old high idle. I've heard that when it's cold that the computer controls the idle, which is perfect when I first fire it up in the morning (900rpms or so), but once it's warmed up the mechanical stuff takes over.

See less See more
#3 ·
Get a Haynes manual and chase down the plugs and what they go to. And I'm betting all vacuum and breather lines will need to be connected before you'd pass smog.

#5 ·
On my old 2.5 it always smelled like fuel. Turned out my fuel pressure regulator was leaking. It seemed to run fine, until I replaced it and got some missing power back. Check for leaks, replace lines and double check the necessary sensors, like the O2 sensor.

#7 ·
I have a Chrysler manual for Jeep YJ and there is absolutely no mention of the vacuum system in it. I don't see why someone can't just take a peek under their hood and check it out. I know it's a common part for the 2.5 engines, I've seen it on a couple in photos.

#9 ·
you will automatically fail with your vacuum lines like that. Most people think that when the exhaust burns your eyes it's running rich. That couldn't be farther from the truth. The culpret is usually a missfire of some sort at idle that is causing high H.C. and thats what burning your eyes. Rich conditions don't burn your eyes. If you call my shop tomorrow I can send you an alldata emissions diagram so you can get your vacuum lines right the first time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.