Pirate 4x4 banner

Driveshaft play in 2000WJ w 247 Tcase?

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Johann 
#1 ·
This is a new to me Daily driver. Bone Stock. :laughing:

I have my DS out for a seal issue in the FR axle and noticed some in/out and radial play in the "rezeppa? joint" on the non extending side. I'm used to XJ's with real ujoints and not these new fangled things. Is there supposed to be any play or not?

1/8-3/16th in-out play as in: In line with the driveshaft.

Radial play is small. Maybe an 1/8" of rotation. Articulation appears to be smooth and flexes well. Just this play.

Do I need to replace the joint? Is there a good description of how somewhere? Hopefully this doesn't require replacing the entire shaft. The other joint is tight. Only has a little over 100k on it.

This is on my Daily Driver so I am not planning to replace it with a ujointed shaft unless it's going to cost less. ;)

#2 ·
I've got nothing helpful to say about the joints besides I agree i like U-joints better.
However, I would not advise driving very far without the shaft in, the viscous couplers don't like front and rear spinning at different speeds, let alone one of them missing, they aren't like a 231, 300 or 20.

#3 ·
Yeah, I was hoping to get this done without drama. :laughing: Just get the info and replace what I needed. I may have to figure out what ujointed shafts will be the right length to swap in. The pain will be finding the yokes with the right spline count to work with the NV247.

You would think "Is there supposed to be any play or not?" would be easy enough to answer. It may be less non hardcore than the Jeep-Non Hardcore section of the PBB. I may have to post in Chit chat to get an answer! :homer:

#4 ·
I can venture the guess that they are suppose to be tight, the ones on my wj are, But I am not in anyway a "trained mechanic" besides the stuff I have been taught/read and learned on the trail so I am not comfortable saying yes or no definitely. I will look under my wj next time I'm in my shop.

#8 ·
I can venture the guess that they are suppose to be tight, the ones on my wj are, I will look under my wj next time I'm in my shop.
Thanks, I appreciate that!

Is there any vibration in the steering? You should be able to swap out a double cardan shaft from a V8 WJ with little problems. I'm guessing your running 3.73 gears in stock Dana 30 right with no lift? Hit up a local junk yard and see if they have any V8's lying around with a double cardan shaft; swap the transfer case yoke and you should be good to go.

I have the I6 with the CV on the transfer case side and U-Joint at the axle so I'm just assuming yours is this way too.
I never got to drive it with the front DS in so I do not know about the vibes with it in. Good suggestion on swapping the V8 DS. I'll have to dig into that. The DS I have has the same repezza joints on both ends. It must be a 247 thing. I still have some D30 26 spline yokes from the Flipped D300 Conversion I did on the XJ. So all I would really need is the different DS.

If you have the same funky DS with CV or what Jeep calls a CV joint on the WJ's, on each end of the DS, you can almost replace the entire DS for the cost of the joints. I ended up purchasing a used OEM WJ DS from the bone yard... that new to me DS looked almost new and was only $100.00 :D
I may be headed that way if the individual joints are too expensive.

I believe Advance Auto had new CV joints for the 242 priced around $350.
:eek: Hellooooooo Junk yard!

#5 ·
Is there any vibration in the steering? You should be able to swap out a double cardan shaft from a V8 WJ with little problems. I'm guessing your running 3.73 gears in stock Dana 30 right with no lift? Hit up a local junk yard and see if they have any V8's lying around with a double cardan shaft; swap the transfer case yoke and you should be good to go.

I have the I6 with the CV on the transfer case side and U-Joint at the axle so I'm just assuming yours is this way too.

#6 ·
If you have the same funky DS with CV or what Jeep calls a CV joint on the WJ's, on each end of the DS, you can almost replace the entire DS for the cost of the joints. I ended up purchasing a used OEM WJ DS from the bone yard... that new to me DS looked almost new and was only $100.00 :D

I didn't replace my DS because of play or slop... it was making a horrible noise and when I removed the DS, I could look into the rubber boot and see the wear n tear.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.