Pirate 4x4 banner

newbie question about flat belly skids....

5K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Warno 
#1 ·
i'm wanting to build a flat skid plate for my jeep. i have a factory I-6, TF999, and NP231 setup. i'm wondering how far can i tuck the T-case up to make the skid plate as flat as possible? will it cause any problems for me? any help here would be greatly appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
what year? YJ, TJ, XJ?

I ran a tereflex belly up kit on my 99 TJ and loved it. The kit came with engine mount spacers to keep the fan out of the radiator. I also had a 1 inch body lift on my TJ that gave extra clearance between the trans/transfer case and the tub.

I think I also needed a longer drive shaft, because the whole drive train was higher, but I did a 4 inch lift at the same time, so I needed the ds anyway...

#18 ·
lol you would think so.

when i did my 4 link i had alot of help from a friend that has driven and built monster trucks. he also had a tube chassis buggy that he built. i'm actually asking him for alot of help too. i just like to keep other ideas coming in too.

when i was in the garage today i jacked up the transmission until it stopped. the 231 hung about 2 inches lower then the frame rails. you guys think i should make a flat skid plate all the way across or make it as close to the frame rails as i can then make a drop down spot for the transfer case to clear?

#19 ·
Are your link mounts below the frame? If your skid is level with them it'll slide better. My yj is running a homemade about 2" dropped skid. Its basically 2" angle iron bolted to the frame then 1/4" welded to create a lip that a piece of 3/8" plate steel bolts to. If you get what I mean this is the only picture I've got.

I'd run a peice of 1/4" C channel bolted to the frame and then a peice of gussseted 1/4" across. Or my future plan make a separte trans mount out of tube and a couple tub crossmembers then skin it with 1/8" AL then 1/2"uhmw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.