Pirate 4x4 banner

Heating issues with NP231 and CV driveshaft

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  yellow_snocone 
#1 ·
I know this question is going to cause some flaming towards me but I'm asking this question on pirate because this is the best source for answers on 4x4 issues and I've searched with no gain. Anyways, I recently installed a SYE and CV ds on my jeep and I noticed after traveling roughly 15 miles 10 highway that my transfer case was extremely hot as was the yoke and upper part of my ds. I first thought my ds was binding but that wasn't the case and it shifts smoothly as well.

I'm about to open the transfer case up and see if I find anything but I wanted to see if this is normal, I'm guessing its not but who knows.

Spec of jeep '03 NP231J, rigged rudge SYE with used CV unsure of company, pinion angle is 2 degrees off from DS if that helps

Thanks in advance

kyle

#3 ·
not sure of your drivshaft angles--but on a cv style the rear yoke needs no angle and should point at the transfer case yoke, a degree or two is still good. cv joints have there limits also, too much angle or a dry centering ball will cause a LOT of heat. could just need greasing (some can and some cant)

#12 · (Edited)
You ARE aware that the t-case is sitting DIRECTLY beside a 1600 degree catalytic converter right?

If the oil tube is in there, there are no noises, and it shifts fine, 99% likely there's nothing wrong with it.

They normally are pretty damn warm to the touch from what I remember, but I recall having some damn toasty fluid pour onto me when I replaced a tailshaft seal on a customer's TJ that they had just driven for about 30 min to get there.

I think you're trippin' balls over nothing.

#13 ·
Your most likely correct Flatlander. I just wanted to make sure because something didn't seem right with the heat of the CV joint of the driveshaft but thats most likely heat transfered from the yoke

Thanks guys for the suggestion lets hope its just me being paranoid :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.