Pirate 4x4 banner

I am having brake issues with a 2002TJ.

757 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bnagy 
#1 ·
I just replaced calipers, pads, rotors, drums, shoes, and wheel cylinder on my jeep. I bled the brakes with someone pumping the pedal. The brakes feel perfect when the jeep is not running, and there is no air in the lines. When the jeep is running the pedal gets softer and the MF'er still does stop for shit. I can slam the brakes and it feels like i am barely pressing the brakes... I think there may be a booster or MC problem, but i don't want to replace the wrong one. Any ideas? I have a 6" lift and 35s.

#2 ·
Did you run the MC dry? If so you might need to bench bleed it. You can't run them dry then just throw fluid back in them. It could be the booster, but to be honest I've never had or seen a bad booster so i wouldn't even begin to know how to check it other then swapping it out for a known good one.

Also are these 35" tires and 6" lift a recent addon? If so, 35" tires on stock axles/brakes don't stop for shit. Add in a rediculously high lift and you have your suspension slopping around and it's taking away from that sudden deceleration feeling.

You checked all your lines for leaks and cracks?

When I went to 35s my Jeep didn't stop for shit anymore either.

#3 ·
I have 35's on mine and mine stops pretty good, even before I upgraded the front brakes. I upgraded to drilled and slotted rotors, and better pads. This also helped, although I wasn't having brake problems before. I just upgraded because I felt it was probably a good idea. As far as the OP, well I am not too sure. Maybe the MC?? :confused:

#5 ·
If you let the master go dry, bench bleed it and start the whole process over. ALL power brakes feel good when the engine is off because you have very little mechanical advantage to push them without assist. My Jeep stops fine with 35s, but I used 3/4 ton shit in mine.
Travis..

#7 ·
If you just replaced the stock stuff for more stock stuff, they won't be any different really. You would need to actually upgrade to notice a difference. Not to mention it will take a bit of time for the pads to bed and work up to full capacity.
Travis..

#8 ·
I did replace everything with stock stuff again. I should notice a difference, because the jeep wouldn't stop before. You could slam the brakes and it wouldn't jerk at all, just stop slowly. The fluid was dark brown, and the pads and shoes were shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.