Pirate 4x4 banner

Looking for CA legal, 6 Cylinder 1978 Jeep Engine Picture.

6K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  7mmpoppy 
#1 ·
I am in the process of trying to make my 1978 CJ5 with the 6 cylinder (258) CA legal. It is missing some components and haven't been able to get a straight answer about what it should and shouldn't have. So I wanted to see if anyone here on pirate has a Jeep of my year/engine, and if that person could take a picture of the engine bay so that I can see what is actually on this motor. I am missing and sure I need the air pump, and my air filter housing looks like it may have been modified previously. Just looking for some clarification. Thanks.

#5 ·
Those vehicles from the 70's couldn't pass todays emissions so what exactly does it need TO pass? Would it pass 100% stock?

Next they'll want you to install 4-8 catalytic converters to make sure you're pumping clean smog out the back.

Anyways; if you contact Jeep (like you're retrieving a build sheet) they will send you to a museum or history council for Jeeps. You could possibly contact them for a complete diagram of the stock motor that would list everything in a complete tear down. Not sure if this is possible but one avenue to run down. My friend was referred to them when he wanted a stock build sheet for his YJ.

#6 ·
^^Do you even live in CA? It needs to have all of the factory emissions equipment in place and functioning, and must pass a tailpipe test for what they say it should be. It is not held to the same standards as a new car.
Travis..

#7 ·
No I don't live in CA.

According to what you just said then the OP should only need a cat and muffler on it to pass. What else is there on a 78' for "emissions"?

All I know is CA emissions are strict with even cars from the 90's; anything you end up with in PA from CA is stack full of cats and 02 sensors.

#8 ·
I'm not sure what a 78 has, but examples could be; stock air cleaner, heat stove, egr and correct hose routing/thermal switches etc, timing set correctly, air pump if equipped, and any and all electronic or electric devices must also function. So no, just a cat and muffler won't cut it.
Travis..

#9 ·
I know that this is not what you are asking for, but here is another option.
Get a Ca. approved Howell fuel injection kit. It's a pretty easy swap.
Performance is a magnitude better, and you can ditch 95% of the smog crap.
I have done this and I'm very happy with it.
P.S. also passed my smog with flying colors.
J.B.

#12 · (Edited)
I like the fuel injection idea, but unfortunately it is my understanding that because it is coming back into the state after being registered in a different state it must have most of the OE parts. ie...metal gas tank, factory distributor, air cleaner housing, cold air hose, etc etc. I took mine to a local smog shop which was previously a referee station. I was given a page long list of stuff the Jeep was supposed to have on it to become legal again. I was told in only needs the OE stuff to pass initial inspection and then I can do a fuel injection system if I want or put back on the after market parts.

When the we originally purchased the Jeep (maybe 8-10 years ago), there was no smog pump on the motor. It started it's life as a CA Jeep, and after we purchased it became a AZ Jeep for the last couple years. But everyone else is telling me there needs to be a smog pump on it. In AZ we pulled the exhaust header and installed a Hedman Header. I know I need to locate a factory header again, and yes put a cat back on it.

Part of my problem now is:
1. I need to locate a smog pump. (can probably order one online somewhere if necessary).
2. My existing factory air cleaner housing has been modified (before I owned it) so I need to locate a replacement factory air cleaner housing. I bought one off craigslist from a guy who had the same motor in a scrambler. But the housing is physically different. So now I am trying to figure out where all the original hoses and tubes went. That is partly why I was hoping to see a picture of a comparable setup.

Thanks.

#15 ·
Not sure about your info on not being able to install howell fuel injection since it is from another state? The Howell kit is a 50 state legal kit that comes with a C.A.R.B. sticker and #. There should be no special inspection, just a standard smog, weigh and vin verification at DMV to transfer to CA.

From my own personal dealings with the swap I learned alot real quick. First is to not go to just any smog shop, most dont want to deal with it. The reason they dont want to is the open air cleaner issue. The howell kit for the I6 requires an open air cleaner and they dont think its ok. If you talk to the tech, ask them prior to the smog if they will run the info # on the C.A.R.B. sticker online to verify the open element issue.
My Jeep was a bitch to smog with the stock crap, every 2 years it would fail first try. I would always have to take it home and fix some dumb issue it was having. After the Howell the thing has never even come close to failing and the power and reliability is way better.

You are gonna waste a bunch of time and money because of bad advice and probably still have trouble passing with the stock crap. Also, either way check your EGR valve and verify it workin!

#13 ·
This thread is reminding me that California sucks.... :bawling:

I have an '84 CJ-7. Half of my smog stuff is missing and the rest of it is not working.... There's no way it will pass smog, and the state doesn't want it to. They want to force us to scrap these older vehicles so we can have even cleaner air. I'm sure that soon a law will be passed outlawing the older vehicles altogether!:shaking: They're already doing it with the big diesel trucks, Jeeps won't be far behind!

#19 ·
Just imagine the worst case senerio and thats what you have. It's easier to tell you what you won't need to pass smog. That would be a check engine light. Thats it.

If it were my jeep I would use the mopar 4.0 injection setup. I see these the most and they are approved. we don't even look for E.O. numbers on them anymore. Technically you could do a 4.0 swap with all the efi stuff and not even need a referee because 4.0 and 4.2 are same engine family and the 4.2 has an approved mopar efi setup that uses all the 4.0 parts anyways.

#20 ·
I really appreciate all this feedback guys.

Thanks

#23 ·
how????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.