Pirate 4x4 banner

Dana 44 Knuckle Problem

6K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  ryanm91 
#1 ·
I picked up a set of 3/4 ton flat top knuckles with arms to put on my wagoneer axle and the problem is the brakes and backing plates dont fit so i dont know what to do besides grind away at the knuckles anyone know if i can salvage these knuckles?

#5 ·
call blackbird customs he makes all this stuff and knows his shit to help you out

#7 ·
every person i know including myself who has had a d44 with a high steer setup has had to piece together knuclkes, brakes, spindles,etc from different models.

To be honest I don't remember 100% what my combo was, but if i had to guess it was:

'76 ford d44
chevy spindles
ford brakes
and wagoneer hubs

But like i said don't quote me.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with better knowledge on the topic. Search the web too...you're not the first:D

#25 · (Edited)
First things first. What vehicle are they knuckles off of?
- Doesn't seem like you know from reading along... One thing is for sure they are not the most common Chevy/Jeep knuckles. So why would you think the most common swap parts would if your knuckles?

You sure you read my article?
No I don't show your knuckles, but as to your comment "never saw drum brakes have studs in circle pattern"

Drum brake flat top knuckle, notice the off-set spindle bolt holes. These knuckle can not fit stock Chevy Disk brake calipers or brackets. Knuckles were on E-bay # 2478873138 for $200 buy now, I sure feel sorry for the buyer who tries to use these, unless they run Drums.

Drum Brake Flat top (1967-1972 Chevy, 67-76 FSJ) will not fit a stock Chevy disk caliper bracket. Red arrow shows a 1/4" gap, Dark Red shows 1 of 2 places the bracket hits the knuckle. C35563 Drum Brake case number

PS, there is a easy way to loose the "Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk"

#27 · (Edited)
If you expect to see a lot of the street, just get some Chevy / FSJ knuckles. Its cheaper to build them in the end, and easy to switch bolt patterns.

If its a trail only vehicles... I'm sure there are ways to make it work.
I am going to stay mum on the subject, but I've seem worst done. Good Luck
This could go either way, a nice save or end up on the booty fab page. :eek:

.​

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.