Pirate 4x4 banner

Extended cj hood?????

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  _Stucky 
#1 ·
So I'm doing a 1989 YJ frame and tub and throwing in SBC 350 TH350 and Dana 300 with a CJ hood. I'm running into the most common issue of driveline length and radiator placement.

I don't want to stretch the frame for multiple reasons. Does anybody offer an extended custom CJ hood so I can move the motor farther forward to increase my driveshaft length?? how hard would it be to have a body shop cut it and extend it like 4 inches? Then I can lengthen my tube fenders and there is enough room on the frame to mount the grill father forward.

Any feedback? Ideas?

#2 · (Edited)
how hard would it be to have a body shop cut it and extend it like 4 inches? Then I can lengthen my tube fenders and there is enough room on the frame to mount the grill father forward.

Any feedback? Ideas?
Buy a second hood, cut 4 inches off of it, weld it to the back of your hood, add a little body filler, sand..... well, you get the idea! But why? There are thousands of Jeeps running 350/350 combos, I don't remember seeing one with an extended hood. In my opinion, it would be a lot easier to move the rearend further back.

What are your plans for the rest of the build?
How big are your tires? How much lift are you running? Wheelbase? Axles?

With a little more info, maybe a better solution can be found!:D

#3 ·
More info on driveline and build plans would help, but thats a pretty common driveline and should fit without having the stretch out the front any. A SBC already shorter than a 4.0L or 4.2L straight six so you can get a few inches there and sometime using an electirc fan can gain you a little space. The rear drive shaft will be short but it is doable without having to go through the work of streching the hood.

#4 ·
You are over engineering it.

-Get a good radiator, don't go overkill with the size.
-Get an electric fan so you can get rid of the belt driven one
-Keep the motor moved as far foward as you can.

Its a common swap, and it can be done without having any issues.

#6 ·
My rear is stretched 6" with a 350/350/231 and my rear driveshaft is still not much longer than that. CJ7 tub on a YJ frame. It's just one of those things. If you're gonna keep it on leafs, you don't need a shit-ton of slip.

#7 ·
i saw an older jeep, cj i assume, last year on a car lot. it looked like it had a 6 inch body lift, so i didnt stop. but it also had a cheesy looking hood on it. on the way back by i slowed down to look closer. it was an extended hood and looked utterly hopeless. i have never, and will never, see an uglier jeep. it was blue and in pittsfield ill. on the main drag

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.