Pirate 4x4 banner

Clutch is spongy, transmission wont shift

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  bluedeval03 
#1 ·
i have a 1990 YJ. After a drive from northern LA to OC and parked at the hotel, when i came back to drive it out the transmission would not shift.
the Clutch is all the way down. i checked for leak i couldnt find any. nothing below the dash and no leaks to be found under the jeep.
Checked the transmission fluid it was low about 3 quartz (huge). topped if off ran it for a while stationary no leaks.
Now the clutch wont engage or disengage. the transmission would shift fine when the engine is off but not when its on.
when i position it in 1st with clutch all the way in, the jeep would jump forward with little gas it would run forward fine without any noise.
Same thing in reverse, all gears work fine but it doesnt seem like the clutch is operating correctly!
i am not a subject matter expert, in case you have something in mind please detail it so i could take baby steps processing it and performing the repairs.

any pics showing the parts being discussed would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all!

#3 ·
please dont flame me too hard, is this the system on a Jeey YJ 1990?. i tried to follow the hoses from reservoir but i couldnt see anything going to the break reservoir. please let me know if i am right or wrong. the diagram threw me off!
944 CLUTCH HYDRAULIC SYSTEM

#6 ·
no is not the exact same, but the principle of the diagram is. Instead of having the brake system also furnish the fluid, it has its own reservoir. the '90 model also uses an internal slave cylinder instead of an external.

You should be able to follow the rest of the info in link to help you track the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.