Pirate 4x4 banner

5/16 steel, overkill?

771 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  MuddyPaws 
#1 ·
Alright, flame on if you must but I'm a newbie here that's been lurking for a while. I bought my stock 93 YJ 2 years ago from my uncle and haven't touched it until now. Protection is my first priority, and I figured rockers would be an easy project. My question is, is 5/16 overkill for rockers and eventually full corner protection? I get this in 20x48inch lenghths for .09cents a poundthats why I'm thinking about using it. Thx for the help

#2 ·
For rockers, not at all. Rockers take one hell of a beating. I've already made 2 sets in 5/16" because that was all I could get 4x6 angle iron in. As for corners tho, that seems a little excessive. I don't think I would use anything over 3/16" on corners, but thats just me.

#3 ·
5/16 is good for rockers but hard to work with. Hope you have a serious plasma or are good with a torch. I used 2" schedule 80 pipe for sliders but I am getting ready to mount some 4x4 angle 5/16 for the rockers because crap keeps getting in between the sliders and tub. For the corners 5/16 will be too hard to bend. Look for some good pre bent corners, it will probably save you some head aches.

#4 ·
I would definetly do the rockers out of that as stated they bet the crap beat out of them. But the corners I wouldn't I've got 3/16 s rear corners on my seven and they added alot of weight. Take a look at saVvy offroad for some aluminum corners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.