Pirate 4x4 banner

YJ Fullwidth Swap Questions

920 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BrianDguy 
#1 ·
got a 91 yj last week, and its got one ******* ass setup under it. i dont want anything hardcore for this jeep yet, just a summer convertible/campout/pavement pounder. its got a late 70 bronco radius arm 44 in the front, 9" rear, dana 20 tcase and 38" gumbo's.

im wanting to use these axles if possible, but from what i can tell, the 44 isnt gonna work due to the chunk being too far over to the right (where my leaf spring needs to go).

can i use this axle on the front with a leaf spring setup from the factory front mounts? i can modify the coil setup, build new link arms, etc and that would work, but im trying to get this thing back to factory as much as possible... dont ask why, cause hoestly i dont know the answer... any tips, pics, or build threads would be apprecaited it.

and yes i searched and found nothing for this particular axle, which is why im thinking it can be used the way im wanting to...

#3 ·
I could be done, but the 78-79 F250 Dana 44s are not hard to find. Those axles have the spring pads built in already and are really close to being bolt in for the YJ.

But, it looks to me like the builder already removed all of the factory frame side spring hangers and shackle mounts, so that would all have to be added anyway.

Is it just that the fab and welding is shady, or is the suspension just really not working? I just couldn't imagine at this point that it would be easier to redo the suspension again rather than fix what is there.

#4 ·
Just what do you feel is wrong with the setup thats in there? I understand that a radius arm setup is not the greatest, but why get rid of it?

And if the axle is 78 or 79, then there really is no way to mount leaf springs on it without it still being '******* ass.'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.