Pirate 4x4 banner

Replacing axle tubes???

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Sundowners 
#1 ·
I am about to swap a 78 ford d44 in the front of my xj.
It is the shitty cast version so i have a question. (Its probably a stupid question.) :homer:

Is it possible to remove the axle tubes from the pumpkin and weld tubing in its place for new axle tubes. Just a thought??
Any ideas and criticism is appreciated. :flipoff2:

#2 ·
Hmmm... I'm trying to think of a SEARCH term that you could use here or in gen4x4 to find this info. Maybe "Axle re-tubing" or "Re-tubing an axle"

Maybe if you SEARCHed, you would find out that it isn't uncommon, but also not as easy as cutting the current tubes off and welding a new one in.

You'll need a press large enough and strong enough to press the old tubes out (after you've removed the welds), and press the new tubes in. An alignment bar would also be extremely helpful to make sure you get everything straight.

#4 ·
I just replaced a tube on my HP44 to make it a pass drop. The hardest part it getting all of the welds out that holds the original tubes in. You have to drill them with a carbide drill, torch them out, plasma them out, or grind the shit out of them. Once you take care of the welds, place it in a press and heat up the center section. The tube will press right out IF you got all the welds taken care of. It took me a couple tries. Installing the new tube was easy, Just heat up the center section and it will side right in.

Hope this helps,
B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.