Pirate 4x4 banner

how to spot limited slip?

557 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cj8mule 
#1 · (Edited)
If i put one wheel on ground, and one in the air, the one in the air shouldn't turn, right? I'm going to trade for my neighbor's old jeep, and i remember one time he had it on jackstands swapping wheels & tires with someone. When he'd move the tire on one side, the one on the opposite would turn also. But... I have an old bronco i used for parts, and i unlocked one hub & turned the pinion and i couldn't get it to turn, tried it the opposite way, same thing, unlocked both hubs and turned pinion & i could see both front axle shafts turnning, but i'm pretty sure it's open diff. I know on open diff, turning one side should send the other in reverse, though.

#5 ·
When he had the jeep on jackstands, the axles acted like they both had limited slip, or lockers or something. I figured he welded them (knowing him), but he said no, he hadn't messed with them, and he said they didn't feel locked, and was pretty sure it was limited slip. He got it from original owner of whom he said never upgraded axles, or anything on it for that matter. Just trying to figure out if it's open diffs and something was causing them to act like LSD or lockers while he was removing tires, or what. This is one of the reasons i wanted his jeep, so i'm trying to make sure. I may pull his diff covers off while he's at work. :D

#6 ·
if both tires are off the ground, an open diff will rotate tires in oposite directions. If one tire is on ground, you shouldn't be able to rotate the other tire easily with a locker. It will rotate quitely and fairly easy with a posi. IMO an open carrier is better than a worn out posi. GL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.