Pirate 4x4 banner

dana 30 hp..inner seal?

10K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  gtxracer 
#1 ·
i have a dana 30 hp out of a 86 xj in my 97 tj. i used the tj axles to eliminate the two piece axle. i busted a passenger side u-joint and now my axle seal is leaking. when i did the swap i only used a seal at the disconnect and it has held until now. i would rather have it sealed at the carrier or both. i ordered some seals that were suppose to fit but they were too big. are the xj and yj axle tubes the same size? could that have been the problem? i have noticed a lot of people posting a napa part # 11800???.... i think. will this fit the xj housing? if not .... does anyone know a part # of a seal that will fit the passenger side inner tube on the xj axle housing? i'm also considering upgrading the axle since i have to pull it any way. should i stay with an axle for a 97 tj? or is there an axle that is better suited for the xj housing?

#2 · (Edited)
I did this on a 95YJ and used the seals in the Warn kit.Some # I have are as you stated the Napa cr 11800. Rember the pass side is not machined for a seal so one kind of has to be forced in.No need to pul the axle just the carrier.You can also call Randy's Ring and Pinion tell them what you have and get the seal from them.As I recall I got some seals from them and got two seals and used the one that fit.The best fix is to put in the seal at the carrier and also one at the location of the dissconect seal, rember the one piece axle shaft is not machined for a seal there and may not hold as well.Some other part # cr11343,National #471763 andQuadratec#52420.12 also ns471354 Not hard core

#3 ·
yeah..probably shouldn't have been in the hard core forum. they sent me two seals also. very little diffence in the size but both were way to big to fit inside the tube.i did try to fit the smaller of the two...knowing it was too big. the part # of the larger one is cr11878. i guess the other could have been the 11800..thats why i wondered if the yj and xj axle tube id was the same... i will look up randy's and try them.

#4 ·
All those napa part numbers don't do shit for anyone with an XJ disco housing. Get a SealsIt seal and you will never worry about it again. This has been covered in the Ultimate Wrangler thread, click the link in my sig and look for it around the newbie section.

#5 · (Edited)
The "Seals it" seal, is siliconed in place, it has duel seals. It looks like a very nice seal.

http://www.sealsit.com/axlehub.asp

My bet is that you can find the right seal at Napa, BUT your gonna need to mic the inner axle tube diameter and get a seal that is that is very close ie 3-5 thousandths OD on the seal.

There are at least three different axle tube IDs. I found half a dozen different parts numbers.

I just did this with a high pinion YJ a month ago, FWIW I used a Federal Mogul 40576S.

If you go with the "Seals it", you will do it once and be done with it. If you go the Napa route, there is the potential to redo it again. We were careful putting mine in, very very careful, and so far so good, but it may take 2-3 months to start leaking too. (been there and done that with other applications).

Good luck.

Wally

#6 ·
He's right, 3 different versions. I tried all 3, still couldn't get the right one :shaking: Then I bought the Randy's R&P kit and none of those fit either.

The SealsIt fit right in, no press, and hasn't leaked in the year it's been in and I drive to and from the trails. It's been in snow, mud, and a couple low water crossings over the course of 5 or 6 trips. They're legit.

#8 · (Edited)
All the axles are the same length and spline for all Jeep Dana 30s, 27 spline. The Rubicon 44s have 30 spline axles but they're still the same length as the regular Dana 30s. The 2 piece shafts suck, stick with the 1 piece shafts. The new 297x shafts (big u joint) are what most people want to run. Or you can be big baller and run RCVs. That's what I did :D

edit: It doesn't matter if they're TJ or XJ shafts, as long as they're 1 piece and the u joint size you're looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.