Pirate 4x4 banner

Biggest tire size on D30

24K views 75 replies 37 participants last post by  MuddyPaws 
#1 · (Edited)
OK I know there are gonna be d-bags that say dont go over a 31, but I wanna know if anyone is running 35s (or bigger) reliably with a d30. Just for shits and giggles, lets say with a locker and no chromos bc thats what I have now. I already have TJ shafts with 760x u-joints installed with 31s and a spartan locker. And I already have a HP44/9" combo to put in, but it aint gonna happen until next winter.

#12 · (Edited)
^^This. 33's with a locker and stock shafts. I ran 35's for a long time without issue. As soon as I locked that axle I was spitting joints left and right. Sometimes without skinny pedal. One time I was just climbing up a small rock face, no bind, no spin, and heard "ping", another ujoint....

If you're set on 35's and don't want to upgrade to chromo's (since you're working on another project), I'd tack the caps and carry a couple of spares. Run the better spicer joints or those cheaper alloy joints. No brute force or precision crap. JMO.

#6 ·
Careful throttle and good lines will keep a 30 together with 35's. I ran mine for 2 years with a detroit and only broke one u ujoint, that was the small 260x CJ version. I upgraded to chromos, and the 760X joints, and got in a nasty spot on some rocks and wound up twisting the splines on one chromo inner, and snapping the other one. I was pinned hard, too much throttle and snap. Yukon warrantied the shafts, but I swapped a 60 in. We broke more axle shafts on 44's than 30's with 35's.

#30 ·
You can wheel it on 35's and i know guys on 37's. You HAVE to pick your lines carefully and you can't ever bounce. I wouldn't suggest wheeling like this, it makes for excessive trail repair time and takes time out of others wheeling by having your junk broke in the trail. Can you, yes. Should you, no. Consider others and their time helping you, or being blocked by your rig.:smokin:

#8 ·
4 cyl soa 488s 35s running a spartan locked d30 on stock 98 xj shafts. 1 snapped axle in 3+ yrs doin something REALLY stupid. as said, dont make the stupid pedal ur first choice and ur axle will live.

#9 ·
I found it particularly easy to wear out the outer stub ears.. somehow I managed to go through three of them in a month, open differential on 33"s.

Then again, I enjoy stepping on the fun pedal sometimes. It can get boring going slow.

#10 · (Edited)
I ran 33s for years with no problems. then I broke an inner shaft. the next day after I got it fixed, my balljoints blew out and tore the ears and all off the other side outer shaft and stub. Then I decided to go to tons. :D

I would say 35s are okay if you are careful, but I wouldn't feel comfortable without chromos. I don't think I would do more than that, but I know plenty of people run 36s or 37s with good ujoints etc.

#13 ·
Wow, first person I ever heard calling Precision joints crap. U can't get better parts store joints than them in my area. Mine are 3yrs old n going strong. When I broke my shaft I took the precision joint out of it n put it in my spare. And I'm still clubbing it a yr later.

#16 ·
What I said was just my opinon based on my experience. That does not mean it's right, just that it's right for me....

Those joints could very well be the top of the line parts store joints anywhere. I bought them because they had a picture of a baja truck on the cover. They didn't last. In fact, I went through 2 of them on back to back trips and I can't say I drove like an idiot. But, that very well could be the case.

Either way, a D30 locked on 35's did not last for me. I swore up and down that it would because I had grown quite fond of that axle over the years.

#14 ·
I run 36x13.50 iroks on a HP30 with 4.88s and a lockrite

been that way for a few years, and only ever fouled up the ears on one inner shaft (and that was on 35s) and caused it to spit a u-joint cap.

I take smart lines, and am mindful of it, but go everywhere I wanna go.

I finally ponied up for some upgraded shafts last month after finding a good deal on some...

#18 ·
Two cents of an opinion, another dollar and 98 cents and you can have a decent cup of coffee.

I have wheeled a low pinion 30 for a little over two years, CJ7, 260X U joints.

In the mud, I could get the U joints to survive for a couple of runs with a locker and 35" tires.

On the rocks out in Moab, I went through 3 U joints, 2 shafts in two days of wheeling. We were doing Moab Rim, Hells Revenge, Cliff Hanger type trails.

I upgraded to chromomoly shaft and 760X U joints, haven't busted a U joint in almost a year. Same set up after several day trips.

My style is not as smooth as I would like, but I am not bouncing off the rev limiter or shock loading the front end by bouncing it front 3 feet off the ground either.

On the flip side, I have a buddy that has wheeled the heck out of his dana 30 for 3-4 years with chromos, 760x U joints, 4 cylinder auto. His took quite a beating before it had a catastrophic failure. I have mixed thoughts on Dana 30s with 35" tires. The question of reliability is always in the forefront of my mind. I think the best way to describe it for me, is that one has to always remember that a dana 30 with a tiny little 7.5" ring gear and a plumb/ mediums orange sized pinion is turning 35" tires.

Wally

#19 ·
Never once has my chromoly, with Dana 44 Yukon super joints, given even after breaking an outer knuckle, running 35's and I have wheeled it harder than most, Hell I've even tried to break it and can't, so its all up to the user and if they want to run a 44 or a 30 also I never tore any gears out either

#20 ·
Had 33's for about 5 years and now 35's for about 4 years and haven't broken anything up front yet. I have a HP D30 with a Aussie Locker/stock TJ shafts. I carry spares shafts, but <knock on wood> I haven't needed them yet. ...I have blown up a D44 Detroit TruTrac in the rear end. I run trails like the Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy Ershim, etc. I wouldn't say that it's bullet proof, but is a lot stronger than most people give it credit for.

#21 ·
I run 35 Krawlers on a HP30 disco housing with RCVs, lockright locker. Been good so far on the two trips I've had it out. I ran stock shafts with 35 MTRs for almost a year and no problems. It all depends on how you drive and if you realize what will happen if you say "fawk it" and hit the gas.

#34 ·
Ran HP30 unlocked with 4.56's and 32's for a long time without any issues. As soon as I put an ARB in the front, I ended up breaking caps on the u-joints on both sides, still on 32s. Replaced stock shafts with RCV's, then went to 35's. After a crappy regearing, sheared 5 teeth off the ring gear at the end of the first wheeling day. Been out twice after the rebuild on 35's, ran the crap out of it, and everything is still together.

So 4.56's, ARB, RCV's, 35" Kevlars and everything is holding strong.

#37 ·
4.88 gears, ELocker, chromoly shafts, yukon super joints and D44 hub kit with outers - 37" KM2s and no problems so far. I'm not hard on the gas and try to pick a good line. Jeep works good, but I've spent a ton of $$$ on the D30 to get it that way. Famous last words...."35s are all i will ever want".....

I've got a set of 40" LTBs sitting in the garage so "bye bye" D30.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.