Pirate 4x4 banner

Jeep backfiring

815 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  zuki_06 
#1 ·
Yes, I've searched didn't find quite what I was looking for so here it is. 96 Cherokee 4.0 auto, 135xxx backfiring and stumbling, misfiring badly. I have chased it down to cylinder one. Getting spark, changed injector still backfiring. Valve/lifter noise is loud also, anyone have any ideas? Fuel pressure is spot on.

#2 ·
Got a CEL? Idk if 96 would have it or not but my 98 I had it back firing into the intake. I found an "over boost" code which after hooking my vac gauge up indeed did prove It wasnt back firing into the exhaust like I thought. Ended up being my upstream O2 the one up by the engine. Also check compression and if you have one do a cylinder leak down test. good luck

#3 ·
Not sure on the CEL, but mine is showing bank 1 lean. And it is only backfiring from cylinder 1, when I unhook the plugwire it no longer pops. And I just replaced the upstream O2 sensor made no difference. Got till memorial day weaken to figure this out! Or I'm going wheeling on 5 cylinders!

#6 ·
I'm thinking your right and it's the a valve problem. If I was to take this wheeling like it is would it be allright to just unhook the fuel injector harness to this cylinder? Or would that cause more problems?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.