Pirate 4x4 banner

cj8 axle/susp 14 day swap

2K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  chef717 
#1 ·
old specs...rear trussed amc 20, lunchbox, one peice axles ,410. front d 30, lunchbox...that's it. 4" lift springs, 36 iroks...36 tsl's before that. as the name implies i am not a machanic so i had some MAJOR help from my boys tony and jd at ttp in largo florida... more like i assisted them. i bought a ton of parts from ballistic...

my order was a little delayed but ballistic stepped up so we could finish it before an event called jeepbeach in daytona. cash is tight so i could only go so far with things. i've been assembling parts for almost a year. i ended up with a 9" rear and a d44 with dodge outers. procomp rock ready coils...6" up front and front 4" in the rear. procomp shocks... 15" of travel in the front and 12" triangulated in the rear...40 bucks each. with all the parts finaly here we went to town... out with the old...

then the boys go to work...

it was amazing watching tony figure out all the hardware on the 44. a whole lot of shit piled on to that axle !!! we were able to salvage the drag link and tie rod to cut down cost. old draglink became my trackbar and we just cut and sleaved the old tie rod.

the rear link system is a wishbone setup... new one on me...

photosucket just crapped out on me so i'll have to finish later !!:mad3:

See less See more
#2 ·
here's some more...

since we had the front fenders of i thought now would be a good time to swap for an aluminium radiator and taurus electric fan. we had some clearance issues with the fan so we ended up cutting into the grill to make it fit.

the plan was to move the front forward a couple inches. but when we set the axle underneith we relized it would be alot easier to stay close to the stock location to save time. so i bought a set of metalcloak hi line fenders and it worked perfectly...

#3 ·
we decided to use ballistic adjustible buckets front and rear. the front worked out perfectly but the rear had to be modified. using their combo, coil shock link mounts made life easy...

there's a lot of hard wear attached to this little 44 !!! ya i know im gonna break it sooner or later running 39's but ran a stock 30 for three years on 36's and only broke 1 ujoint...

while we were at it we decided to clock the t case a little and build a new skid plate. if there's any interest i'll take some pics.

#4 ·
rti...

this is where we HAVE to limit it so the spring doesn't drop out. front veiw...

hmmm... no pics of the front.

all in all for 14 days i think it went pretty well. got a few issues to resolve next week. limiting straps for the rear blah blah blah. ok so i was the do bitch on this build !!! but hey i was there working my ass off !! cut this, grind that put this on !!! you get the picture. but i learned A LOT !!! these boys kicked ass and took names !! thanks to the grim reeper for coming over to lend a hand. it's high as fuck but i'm going to wheel it this way and see if the springs settle. anyway, made it to jeep beach and played on their little pile...

then proceeded to slide right off the next obsticle...

i wanted to drive off of it but they would only let em back off...

had a blast...

when it was all said and done...
d44 trussed, 4.88, spartan locker, bf,inner c gussets... ah fuck it. there is way to much shit to list. if you wanna know ask and i'll tell you. my hats off to those of you who have all this knowledge in your heads !! but i can cook my ass of and i'm learning quickly !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.