Pirate 4x4 banner

In Cab Fuel Cell - Illegal?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  smogman 
#1 ·
Can anyone authoritatively tell me if an in-cab fuel cell is illegal for a street driven vehicle in CA? Yes, I’ve searched. Found lots of opinions, few facts. I’ve been browsing through the Calif motor vehicle code and find nothing on this:
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm

A separate question is regarding liability. Does anyone know of a case where an owner was found negligent in an accident due to a cell in the passenger compartment (e.g. behind the driver seat in a Wrangler)?

#3 · (Edited)
Thats not in cab, its in the tub:D
But, yeah it is because you don't have a CARB sticker for it, you don't have a fire wall & it wont pass the visual of a SMOG test. Anything you modify in fuel, air or electric must have a carb sticker or its illegal on CA.

I have mine mounted behind the seats & building a fire wall (14" high) with a lip facing over the fuel cell (6".) I kept my stock tank so when I get the smog done. I will throw it back in for the test.
One thing though I have notice is the weight difference & weight transfer.

#4 ·
Major problems with this.
1st. you will never pass smog with a fuel cell.
2nd. huge liability with this entire setup if you are doing this work for someone.
3rd. And the most important, You will have to put a gas nozzle in the cab to fill the tank.
Tank in the cab is ok but all the filler necks are outside and sealed to the inside of the cab
4th. overall bad idea!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.