Pirate 4x4 banner

8.8 advice

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  y2knole 
#1 ·
95 yj 5.2l v8, 4.5 susp lift 1bl, 35 inch gy mtr/k

I am switching to a cut down hp44 up front. I have the 8.8 in back.
My understanding is stock 8.8 axles dont have enough room to drill the 5x5.5 pattern. Is the superior super 8.8 kit the only way to achieve this pattern. If so what year vehicle has the 5x5.5 pattern in the disc? Are spacers a good idea to get proper bolt pattern in this scenario? Does someone sell just the c clip axles if i didnt want to eliminate the c clips since they dont seem problematic in the 8.8?

I feel this axle combo should be very solid in my rig for where i wheel. Cliffs andd badlands. Is the c clip eliminator worth the extra dough? Could I run spacers till i can pop for the 8.8 kit or avoid them at all cost?

#4 ·
you could get custom shafts but they would still cost about $200 a piece from moser or someone else. If you need the extra width spacers would work for about $60. And the super 8.8 kit gives you a little extra width plus 5x5.5 plus axle retainers for what 6, 7 hundred? The spacers will work for short money, and the better options cost more, so it comes down to your budget and how hard you plan on wheeling the jeep.

#5 ·
How wide is your front axle going to be? HP44 cut to use waggy axles?
My waggy front is pretty much the same width as the explorer rear about 1" off. I got a set of dutchman 6lug 8.8 axles for about $350 shipped I'm sure the 5on 5 1/2 would be the same. You can easily drill the rotors out to the bigger 5 lug pattern, I did it to 6 lug. When drilling the rotors try to be as accurate as possible but it doesnt matter terribly since the rotors are hub centric and aligned by the nub on the axleshaft.

#9 ·
Dutchman charges $249 for 8.8 shafts 5x5.5 last time I checked.
Guess the price went down cause in january for a pair 6 on 5.5 I paid $350 shipped to the rightcoast. C-clipped rear axle shafts start at $235 a pair on thier website. They were the most affordable and seem plenty durable.

In the OP's case you cant go wrong with the super 8.8 kit.

#10 ·
just a btw, iv been waiting on superior for my 88 kit for about 2.5 months now and it sounds like I may be waiting another 2... way behind in production and alot of guys standing in line like me. Iv been running spydertrax spacers on the 8.8 for 2 years on my yj with a waggy 44 front. They are cheep and have worked great.

#11 ·
95 yj 5.2l v8, 4.5 susp lift 1bl, 35 inch gy mtr/k

I am switching to a cut down hp44 up front. I have the 8.8 in back.
My understanding is stock 8.8 axles don't have enough room to drill the 5x5.5 pattern. Is the superior super 8.8 kit the only way to achieve this pattern. If so what year vehicle has the 5x5.5 pattern in the disc? Are spacers a good idea to get proper bolt pattern in this scenario? Does someone sell just the c clip axles if i didn't want to eliminate the c clips since they don't seem problematic in the 8.8?

I feel this axle combo should be very solid in my rig for where i wheel. Cliffs andd badlands. Is the c clip eliminator worth the extra dough? Could I run spacers till i can pop for the 8.8 kit or avoid them at all cost?
I ran adapters from 5 on 4.5 to 5 on 5.5 on 37"s for almost a year, you will be fine using them, just make sure they are torqued properly. I now run the Super88 kit and would highly recommend it. FYI I was breaking stock shafts, broke upgraded alloy shafts......I pound on the Super88 kit and it laughs. I also run 5.13's and a Detroit. IMHO skip the custom axles if bolt pattern is your only concern. Go for the Super 88 kit if $$ allows, you want STRONG shafts, and STRONG bearings. You WILL have to drill your rotors to work with the Super88 kit or custom axles for that matter, but it is very easy.

Contact Gerald at Savvy offroad and see what he can do on the Super88 kit if you decide to go that route. I'm local to Superior maybe i'll run by there and see whats up :D

RG

#13 ·
I'd suggest that you give the stock spares w/ spacers a try before you drop the coin on chromos.

I know changing a broken c-clip axle is hell (and with my detroit, I hvae to pull the freaking bearing cap on the passenger side to remove the c-clip too!) on the trail, BUT... the stock shafts are pretty freaking strong. Ive heard of VERY few stock shafts breaking. the more common problem is tweaking the flange on the end, so you end up with a wobbly wheel. but as far as breaking goes, they're pretty damn strong as is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.