Pirate 4x4 banner

HELP! What size are my u-joint bolts?

696 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Fudpucker 
#1 ·
Been lifting and installing an Aussie in my XJ the last week to get ready for a comp this weekend. Finally finished tonight, took it for a test drive and snapped my rear driveshaft u-joint. :mad3:
Looks like at least 2 of the bolts broke off, hopefully the shaft isn't fawked.

I need to get new bolts while i'm at work tomorrow, does anyone know what dimension/thread they are? Can't remember if they're inside hex or 8mm "star" pattern but the dimensions should be the same either way.

And i can't just go to a shop asking for u-joint bolts.. noone around here will have that in stock.. My only chance is getting the dimensions of the bolts and getting new ones from a hardware store..

Fuck.

All i did was take off slightly rough on a dirt road.. Must have been weak bolts or a bad joint in there.

Help (?) :homer:

#2 ·
Drop your shaft. Take it to the parts store and have them get you a new joint and new straps for it.

#6 ·
Thanks. Think they can have them here in the next 8 hrs? :flipoff2:
(seriously tho, thanks)

all while your down there you might want to check and maybe replace your u-joints
Well.. seeing how my rear u-joint had the end caps spit out in the dirt i'm thinking you might be on to something :D

Might as well replace the front joint too. I just checked my front d.s while i was doing the Aussie install and it was solid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.