Pirate 4x4 banner

Learning to Weld

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Knuckelhead 
#1 ·
I am learning how to weld and I have an arc welder and an old wire feed welder to use, the arc welder is alot nicer/newer than the wire feed but is there a preference between the two on which one to use? What kind of welder do you use and why?

Jason

#2 ·
It depends on what the welders are, what you are welding, and your preference. I learned how to do both as well as oxy acetylene welding in high school. Wire feed is really good for awkward places and thin stuff like body work. Generally I use my 110V mig for general stuff like welding nuts and sheet metal repair. The big advantage to arc welders is they are powerful and simple. If your wire feed is 220V then having an arc welder is not completely necessary, its plenty strong for most tasks. Personally I would recommend learning on torches or the arc welder because frankly they take more skill and make you appreciate wire feed, and you have a better idea what is happening.

#7 ·
I started with an Arc welder then moved on to the MIG. I currently have a Lincoln Tombstone 220V Arc welder and a Miller 185 220v Mig. Gotta admit, I havent used the arc welder in a few years now as I much prefer working with the MIG. I find it easier and I get nicer welds out of it. Only use the arc if i run out of MIG gas and need something welded then and there

#9 ·
Go down to your local welding shop and ask them for their scrap and then just weld it all together for practice. I made a lot of what looked like modern art before I welded anything that I wanted to stay together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.