Pirate 4x4 banner

Charcoal cannister after Stretch

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Hotpeper 
#1 ·
So I finished my stretch and have this in my Right Corner. What do I do with it. I am afraid it will hit my tires when I flex with 36's
The second pic is ot the cannister disconnected from the bracket and sitting on my tire.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)

looks like these are shit pics!

here is the basis:
all of the evap stuff will fit in the frame rail, between the top of the wheel well and the frame.

You should only have to cut a small portion of the large vaccuum hose so it doesnt kink, when you turn the charcoal canister on its side.

It will pass smog (if you are CA res) I just did it.

Let me see if I can more better pics fo'ya! :)

#4 · (Edited)

Thats better!

The Canister sits on a platform take it all apart(mark fittings properly!!!) discard the black metal bracket that holds everything together. now you have a bunch of pieces.

Cut the lower platform off totally, and then you can fit the canister on the upper portion of the canister holding area.

Then just re-plumb all the pieces you took off(back to the appropriate positions). and tuck it all into the frame rail. the stuff is super light so zip ties are a good temporary hold.

I didnt have a way to permanently mount the canister yet so i used 100# zip ties. Went wheeling at Coral CYN OHV and ran it through mud and rocks and such and ZERO problems! AND i am sitting on 40" x 14" tires.

im still thinking about using the black metal plate that I took off to some how make it more secure(permanent)

Hope that helped you out??:grinpimp:

Oh, one last thing...

I Stretched mine too and had to move the rear anti-rock forward of the axle. dont know if you plan on running one of those? They are designed to fit behind the axle. let me know i got a fix for that too... cheers!

#7 ·
The charcoal canister itself(the single largest thing back there) is NOT detrimental to keeping the PCM's EVAP check happy.

You can remove it with no problems, it has no actual monitor for the canister itself, it will only throw a code if the canister were to become clogged(it would show up as a purge solenoid valve performance code or something IIRC)... removed entirely it is fine.

The only reason the canister is there is to eliminate(or lessen) the smell of raw gasoline when it is vented to relieve gas tank pressure.

Just make sure it's not venting directly beside your exhaust or anything stupid and you'll be good.

#8 · (Edited)
[QU[QUOT[/QUOTE]OTE=flatlander757;12925516]The charcoal canister itself(the single largest thing back there) is NOT detrimental to keeping the PCM's EVAP check happy.

You can remove it with no problems, it has no actual monitor for the canister itself, it will only throw a code if the canister were to become clogged(it would show up as a purge solenoid valve performance code or something IIRC)... removed entirely it is fine.

The only reason the canister is there is to eliminate(or lessen) the smell of raw gasoline when it is vented to relieve gas tank pressure.

Just make sure it's not venting directly beside your exhaust or anything stupid and you'll be good.[/QUOTE]

I honestly had no idea! I kept popping a P4056 code (small vacuum leak) during the same time I was messing with the stretch, tank, etc (before I cut the canister out but after I moved everything around). So I got worried about the CAL emmission crap and just tried to find a way to keep it all.

I was convinced that was the issue... Until now :)

Makes total sense- duh! Its a charcoal can that's it!!! I bet if you put a crankcase breather on the lines to keep dirt out no one would even know!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.